Nitrates won’t drop what am I doing wrong?!

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frustrated with this tank.....again feel like I’m never gonna get this right. I’ve got a 34 gal red Sea max max 130d and all of a sudden my nitrates are sky high like 30ppm yet my phosphates are close to zero. Testing with api reef master and saltwater test kits tested using both kits to be certain. I did a ten gallon water change which did nothing. I’m dosing no pox but I’ve read takes days to start working/dropping nitrates. Is it ok to dose some seachem prime? Thanks all

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do nopox if you don't have a good skimmer running wet. Also 30 nitrates isn't that bad. That is probably average for many reefers. Just do some more water changes or try something like waste away (if the phosphates are not too low).

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nhjmc I’ll jump in and I’m sure you’ll get much better answers from other. Few quick thoughts.

Test with something other than API. They have a reputation for being inaccurate. Salifer, Red Sean and Nyos are all good choices.

How long have your nitrates been this high and what’s in your tank?

What are you feeding?

I’d consider making some big water changes over a few days to see if that drops your nitrates.

Tmtdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others. Doing bigger water changes 25-30% once a week will help. I would decrease feeding, change to frozen cubes possibly over pellets/flakes If that’s what you’re using or you may have to upgrade protein skimmer. That should help.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as said. I wouldn't do anything about Nitrates until you get a different kit otjer than API. And have your nearest lfs confirm that doesnt use Api. Can't tell you how many disastorous threads I've seen, myself included. Relying on API kit. Had a faulty one right out of box.
30 is not bad. I've ran mine up close to that no problem.
Just don't let your phosphates bottom out.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there are many ways to save money in this hobby, test kits isn’t one of them, imo.

Don’t use cheap instruments to fly the plane.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there are many ways to save money in this hobby, test kits isn’t one of them, imo.

Don’t use cheap instruments to fly the plane.
Wouldn't tack it down to cheap. Price wise sold as single units there's only a 5 dollar difference to red sea or Nyos at my lfs.

Its more in the ease of use and dependability for user i think. Its real hard to discern the colors with API.
As well as you can perform the same API test 3X perfectly and get a different result almost everytime.
Not to knock Api but they need to fix it or pull it from shelves. Seen more bad than good with it for sure

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said cheap because it is the low cost leader in test kits.

They certainly don’t win customers based on their reputation.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First 30 is not sky high, your test might say 30 but it could really have been 39 as these tests are only hobby grade, then a 10g water change would have reduced your nitrates by around 30% so your nitrates will now be just under 30, so your test would look like it hasn’t moved.
another couple of water changes should see the nitrates drop on your test, but I would go for a salifert or nyos test instead of the one you are using.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as said. I wouldn't do anything about Nitrates until you get a different kit otjer than API. And have your nearest lfs confirm that doesnt use Api. Can't tell you how many disastorous threads I've seen, myself included. Relying on API kit. Had a faulty one right out of box.
30 is not bad. I've ran mine up close to that no problem.
Just don't let your phosphates bottom out.
In my recent setup I had the Ammonia test read off by like 2 ppm. I've had the nitrate test read off by a 100. It's ridiculous the variance in those kits. They are borderline useless and I wouldn't trust them, not anymore.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back