Nitrates

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still having some issues with nitrates. stalled at 40 ppm. been this way for over 2 weeks now. have done 3 20 g. water changes and still at 40 ppm. I did each one 3 days apart from each other. went to the LFS and they got the same readings. They advised me to try bio-spira again and see if it goes down. they told me I could leave my skimmer running. I ended up turning off my skimmer with the over flow to hang in my tank so the water would flow in to my tank instead of in a bucket.... i'm questioning if I should be adding bio-spira again or just do a 100% water change at this point. any thoughts.

Deedles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think that adding bio spira would help get rid of nitrates, as it adds bacteria that make nitrates. Increasing air exchange with the skimmer may help. I hear people mentioning opening a window to decrease household CO2 and maybe increasing your air circulation in the house would help. Is your tank covered?

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think that adding bio spira would help get rid of nitrates, as it adds bacteria that make nitrates. Increasing air exchange with the skimmer may help. I hear people mentioning opening a window to decrease household CO2 and maybe increasing your air circulation in the house would help. Is your tank covered?
tank is covered with egg crate. I have a window open with a fan going to circulate the air in and out of the room that the tank is in.

Deedles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have enough water movement? Has there been any changes (something dead/new additions) that might be pushing this up?

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It went from well over 100 to 40 in 2 weeks? If I remember correctly, your nitrates were excessively high. If you went down that fast you are fine. Any faster I would be worried in the shift changing too rapidly. Just continue on the path you are on. You are doing fine.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have enough water movement? Has there been any changes (something dead/new additions) that might be pushing this up?
Nothing new other than a skimmer. but I had the issue before I got the skimmer. before it was at or above 160 ppm. and then I added Bio-spira and within 24 to 48 hours it was down to 80 and then eventually 40 ppm. then I waited and waited and never went down from there. I have down water changes and no luck. no change. so I think Bio-spira might do the trick. if it does and takes it down to 0 that I can deal with and will be able to get some nitrates back easier than to get rid of it.
It went from well over 100 to 40 in 2 weeks? If I remember correctly, your nitrates were excessively high. If you went down that fast you are fine. Any faster I would be worried in the shift changing too rapidly. Just continue on the path you are on. You are doing fine.
the only thing I added was a skimmer. I was thinking about turning my HOB filter to either a refuge or modifying it and adding RB as a extra filter and hope the nitrifying bacteria can grow on the rocks over time.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of vidoes of people using lava rock. yes there dense but not sure about using lava rock. even if I did and rinse the hack out of it. I don't want my water to be ruined by it. and have to start all over again with this tank. so I think RB will be better,

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not introduce anything new right now. Keep doing what you are doing and you'll start to see a difference soon.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates down to zero maybe? That'll stall things REAL GOOD. (As in "bad".)

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had problems with nitrates lately. May be a dumb question, but are you running a sock filter? When was the last time you checked/changed it? Do you have any macro algae or a refugium of any sort? This is a good place to get rid of nitrates.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had problems with nitrates lately. May be a dumb question, but are you running a sock filter? When was the last time you checked/changed it? Do you have any macro algae or a refugium of any sort? This is a good place to get rid of nitrates.
no sock filter. No room for sump. I might use my old hob filter as a make shift refuge. Going to visit the life to see if they have any cheats in stock tomorrow. No benefits in short term but long term it would be a benefit.

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no sock filter. No room for sump. I might use my old hob filter as a make shift refuge. Going to visit the life to see if they have any cheats in stock tomorrow. No benefits in short term but long term it would be a benefit.
I agree. It seems to be the best thing I have done. With nothing in there you just might not have enough material to export. I'm not an expert, but that's my $.02 for what it is worth

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. It seems to be the best thing I have done. With nothing in there you just might not have enough material to export. I'm not an expert, but that's my $.02 for what it is worth
I agree. I just wanna get no3 down. Get a cuc then worry about a refuge.

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whenever I have high nitrates, best thing that has helped me is siphoning the sand. Barely would see a nitrate drop without siphoning sand

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back