Nitrite and Nitrate not reducing... 3 weeks into a cycle

Naz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've cycled my reefer 170 with Dr Tim's all in one and ammonia chloride - it took about the 7 days but my ammonia is down to zero. It's been two more weeks but my nitrite is still 5ppm and nitrates are still 100ppm? Doing an API saltwater test kit.

I haven't introduced any fish yet.. as I'm note sure if they'll survive with high Nitrates (I hear Nitrites is ok for saltwater fish?)

What should I be doing to get ready for my first fish? I've tried a 20% water change but no real effect.

Thanks!

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a premixed salt? Any LR or LS? Just trying to gauge if the system has been seeded with any denitrifying bacteria to actually remove the nitrates and cycle through. I don't know much about Dr. Tims but I don't think you should have such high nitrates at this point.

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
The conversion from Nitrites to Nitrates is usually slower while cycling the system than the conversion from Ammonia to Nitrites. You can do a water change to reduce your nitrate levels.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you do a water change, dose the water up to 2ppm Ammonia. Wait 24 hrs and check Ammonia. If it's zero you're probably fine to add first fish.

Hercaluis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High no
Hi,

I've cycled my reefer 170 with Dr Tim's all in one and ammonia chloride - it took about the 7 days but my ammonia is down to zero. It's been two more weeks but my nitrite is still 5ppm and nitrates are still 100ppm? Doing an API saltwater test kit.

I haven't introduced any fish yet.. as I'm note sure if they'll survive with high Nitrates (I hear Nitrites is ok for saltwater fish?)

What should I be doing to get ready for my first fish? I've tried a 20% water change but no real effect.

Thanks!
Nitrites are actually worse for fish than nitrates

Back