Nitrite issue

JasonAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All. I am new and currently cycling a new 120 gallon tank for the past 30 days. I have been reading on the site all about the new tank break in process but have a question about Nitrites. Currently my tank has the following:
PH 7.4
Ammonia .50ppm
Nitrite 1.0ppm
Nitrate 30ppm
Temp 80F

I have 2 mollies and live plants in the tank at the moment. I have done about 5-6 partial water changes (20-40%) during the past 30 days. My question is should I be concerned about the Nitrite levels? They do not seem to be coming down even with water changes. I realize its part of the process and the ammonia doesn't seem to be going higher. Should I do another water change now? My new plants are starting to turn a little brown which is troubling as well. Fish appear to be doing well.

I am using the API testing kit however it becomes a little difficult to see the true levels since the purples on the nitrite are very close. Any suggestions? Thank you.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be testing error API is known for false readings. I would invest in a little better test kits.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, nitrites aren't
My question is should I be concerned about the Nitrite levels?

Nope. Not really. Nitrites aren't as concerning as ammonia or nitrates. I rarely even test for it.

I'd go out and buy bacteria though. That ammonia isn't doing your fish any good. Bio-Spira or Stability are fine and will bring down that ammonia within a couple of days.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it go another 30 Days and do no water changes at all. You are still reading ammonia and that’s is a sure sign your tanks no cycled. Be patient and as soon as you see your ammonia go to zero, then you will be better off and almost ready for a water change. Until then, just let the tank go and don’t chase numbers

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back