OP
OP
JEDIHOGG77

JEDIHOGG77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jedi I know it seems like a small group is wanting you to proceed to fast and burn your fish :)

not so. this bottle bac you are using tests out on digital ammonia machines to control ammonia immediately when its added. the extra time you have allowed is more implantation time beyond its immediate ability, that's why its not a rushed start.

if you added fish on day one, they still wouldnt be burnt, bottle bac is this good.

ask any seneye owner.

all focus goes on disease prevention, that's the key limitation of old cycling science. they have you wait 68 days for a cycle you paid to boost, no mention of fish disease, then 3/4 of the fish population is lost by month eight.

the careful, extended wait earned no fish safety.

but, starting with prepped fish on the known completion dates for boosted cycles, thats so 2021 and its ironically safer for fish than the old ways.

there isn't a documented failed cycle attempt on the whole board, not one.

but there's hundreds of new fish disease loss threads posted in the fish disease forum every week it exists. patterns tell us where to aim the concern. nearly all disease entrants followed standard cycling protocol of hard zero ammonia and nitrite earned before adding no prep fish. even though the setups seemed to be fine for the better part of a year, check out those month eights in the fish disease forum.
What are you referring to when you say "bottle bac"?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seachem stability, plus ghost feeding.

bottle bac = seachem stability.

its neat how even broken down into parts, your cycle would be done by now.

check out this inversion: feed ONLY, no bottle bac, waits about three weeks, still cycled anyway

isnt cycling neat/it all solves like math equations back to front etc with time waited as the anchor variable.

see how natural bacteria that are fed have time to set up shop, even if you added none

its all based on number of days the stew has been running. post tank pics so we can see how much rock you've used.

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use that won't it spike my ammonia again?
Short answer is yes but you want that so that you can see if the bacteria colony in your tank coverts to nitrite. I believe the goal is to go from 2ppm to 0 overnight. Please fact check that I haven't cycled a tank in a while...

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're exactly where I was. I didn't get the "nitrites are fine" memo until after I finished cycling, but I felt stalled for about a week, week and a half, where my nitrites weren't budging. It was exactly at the 30-day mark that I got a 0ppm reading on NO2.

The bacteria to convert nitrite to nitrate is a lot slower to grow than the bacteria for ammonia to nitrite. I still gave my tank tiny doses of ammonia every 3 days to feed the bacteria, and otherwise had to be patient.

The majority of the advice you'll get on this thread will be to do a big water change (probably 75%) to get your nitrates down and call it cycled. If you're stubborn like me and want to see 0 nitrites, you're almost across the finish line. ;)
IMO the wisest advise you get here. But I would skip adding more ammonia into the tank, If you add some nitrification bacteria to the tank - it will speed up the process. Please see this for tips

Sincerely Lasse

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that can speed cycles along is to lower your salinity. Nitrifying bacteria reproduce much faster in lower salinities. Then once your happy with where you're at you can raise it back up.

OP
OP
JEDIHOGG77

JEDIHOGG77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seachem stability, plus ghost feeding.

bottle bac = seachem stability.

its neat how even broken down into parts, your cycle would be done by now.

check out this inversion: feed ONLY, no bottle bac, waits about three weeks, still cycled anyway

isnt cycling neat/it all solves like math equations back to front etc with time waited as the anchor variable.

see how natural bacteria that are fed have time to set up shop, even if you added none

its all based on number of days the stew has been running. post tank pics so we can see how much rock you've used.
Here are a few tank pics.
6F65C733-5286-4519-B93E-4C06757702D0.jpeg
E71D6C0D-4B4B-4AF0-9FA9-76BDBBFC26E9.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back