Nitrites new aquarium...

Steve S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been running for 30 days, Dr Tim’s with ammonium chloride.
Ammonia levels finally came down to zero almost two weeks ago, nitrites though are still off scale high...using Red Sea test kit, have done 3 5 gal water changes (40gal cube tank), pH 8.2. Does it seem a bit long for the nitrites to be so high??
Thx

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run gfo and carbon but in my opinion they arent great on fish long term and I would go with a more natural route growing some chaeto will strip your tank of nitrates

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about your cycle being nearly complete. Unless your nitrate is completely off the charts, I personally would wait to do any more water changes until the cycle is complete. Then do a massive water change to decrease your nitrates.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before I started using macro algaes during cycle, I would get nitrItes off the chart and one time for 4-6 weeks. What I did was stop feeding and nitrItes dropped down in a couple of days.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run gfo and carbon but in my opinion they arent great on fish long term and I would go with a more natural route growing some chaeto will strip your tank of nitrates

The OP says NITRITES.

Some people are referencing NITRATES.

@Steve S Just to clarify; are you speaking of NITRITES?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about your cycle being nearly complete. Unless your nitrate is completely off the charts, I personally would wait to do any more water changes until the cycle is complete. Then do a massive water change to decrease your nitrates.

Sorry. Didn't mean to seem misleading. What I meant was that I would wait until the cycle completed and nitrites have been at zero for a while before doing any more water changes unless nitrates were just sky high.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, my original plan (still the plan) was to wait 2 months before I add anything, just seemed longer than other tanks I’ve done. Must be me wanting to dive into my first reef tank.
Thanks
Is this the first time you used ammonium chloride?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites don’t factor in reefing or in cycling. Can toss the kit

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you search out threads in the chem forum, nitrite is not harmful when it is present, and our testers hardly ever measure it accurately as well. It’s not needed to know, if you want to see this being applied it comes in big work threads, this one below has links to the chem forum with Randy talking about how it’s not critical to measure

Only what ammonia does is important. Nitrate is for algae tuning, we don’t have to know it to cycle a tank either.

OP
OP
Steve S

Steve S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you search out threads in the chem forum, nitrite is not harmful when it is present, and our testers hardly ever measure it accurately as well. It’s not needed to know, if you want to see this being applied it comes in big work threads, this one below has links to the chem forum with Randy talking about how it’s not critical to measure

Only what ammonia does is important. Nitrate is for algae tuning, we don’t have to know it to cycle a tank either.
Thanks, I’ll look that up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
NO GFO for a new tank yet.
Start with a 2nd opinion/reading. Take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test to see what reading they get and for comparison with yours.
If a match, add ChemiPure blue to sump and also see what Nitrate/Phos content is on your packaging for salt mix

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 2 months into my cycle now and my nitrites still wontt come down. They're off the charts on the red sea test kit. my nitratets have come down a Little bit.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 2 months into my cycle now and my nitrites still wontt come down. They're off the charts on the red sea test kit. my nitratets have come down a Little bit.
If your nitrites are above 5ppm it can stall/slow the cycle in which case a water change would work, nitrates are pointless to test until nitrites 0 out. As your test kits convert nitrate to nitrite and then measures the total.

So there is no telling how much is actually nitrate...

I went through this same thing I’d suggest like I said a water change or buy more bacteria (best option) I used bio Spira & dr Tim’s. There is also Seachem stability micro bacter 7 turbo start 9000 etc.

OP you said nitrites were through the roof but didn’t mention a number, if over 5ppm you probably adsed Too much ammonium chloride but we don’t need to go deeper than this. : P

Last edited:
Back