- Feb 15, 2019
- Reaction score
- Review score
- +0 /0 /-0
Good for you.There are no nitrite-sensitive organisms in reef tanks. It literally takes hundreds of ppm to bother shrimp larvae in saltwater, because the reason nitrite bothers fish in fresh water is it's a chlorine antagonist in fish's gills. Marine tanks are literally 19,000ppm chlorine - there's so much chlorine that it doesn't matter.
The idea that nitrite is toxic is carried over from freshwater fishkeepers - and is a myth.
I don't even know how many tanks I've cycled at this point - hundreds? And I've never seen one get cloudy. Cloudiness is not a normal part of cycling a reef tank.