nitrites stuck at 0.2 when cycling

dave48

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been cycling a new tank for 2 months now and my nitrites are stubbornly sticking at 0.2
I used a decaying prawn as ammonia source which has now disintrigated and have been dosing with liquid bacteria according to the instructions but cant get any further reduction in nitrites. any ideas?
with previous fish only tanks using dead prawn method I always got the nitrites back down to zero within a few weeks WITHOUT the use of additional, bacteria

OP
OP
D

dave48

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time round (admittedly 10 years ago) the thinking was that you needed 0 nitrites before adding fish.
Is that no longer the case?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time round (admittedly 10 years ago) the thinking was that you needed 0 nitrites before adding fish.

Correct, that is no longer the case, IMO. Concerns about nitrite are an inappropriate carry over from freshwater, where it is toxic, to seawater where it is not.

OP
OP
D

dave48

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I am currently plateau'd for the last month at ammonia 0.1, nitrites 0.2 and nitrates 5
to you reckon its safe to add a couple of clownfish?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been cycling a new tank for 2 months now and my nitrites are stubbornly sticking at 0.2
I used a decaying prawn as ammonia source which has now disintrigated and have been dosing with liquid bacteria according to the instructions but cant get any further reduction in nitrites. any ideas?
with previous fish only tanks using dead prawn method I always got the nitrites back down to zero within a few weeks WITHOUT the use of additional, bacteria

Nitrites are not toxic in saltwater, just make sure ammonia is processed and you are good.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a marine aquarium NO2, NO3 are not as big an issue as they are in a fresh water aquarium. They become an issue when placing corals in as many prefer low NO3.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back