Nitrofuracin Green & Copper Power together??

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help...can I combine Nitrofuracin Green & Copper Power?

Thanks!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can mix NFG with copper, though I do not do so. Copper makes the nfg less effective and the combo is harder on fish.

I would use a different antibiotic with copper if needed. Spectogram would be my choice.

OP
OP
Gilbert50

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can mix NFG with copper, though I do not do so. Copper makes the nfg less effective and the combo is harder on fish.

I would use a different antibiotic with copper if needed. Spectogram would be my choice.
Thanks. I just may wait until after my copper treatment...just want to get a handle on my yellow tangs infection. He is doing much better after a Furan2 treatment, but just got some NFG to try.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have active disease such as velvet? How far into copper treatment is it?

OP
OP
Gilbert50

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have active disease such as velvet? How far into copper treatment is it?
I believe it was a very bad case of Ick...this is the second round of Copper Power in the last 4 months. I went fallow in my DT for 120 days. He was covered with it, which created a lot of "pitting" all over his body. He then got a very bad bacterial infection (redness) everywhere. He is on day 9 of Copper Power. His infection had gotten a lot better and has been eating great all week...finally putting on some weight. I was just going to add the NFG to maybe help him get rid of the last of the infection if possible.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one hand Ich is not fatal in the short term whereas bacteria can kill quickly.

On the other , the fish is improving, eating and almost finished with copper.

I would finish one more day of copper if the fish looks like it will survive the day and you are sure copper levels have stayed theraputic. Then, after the 10th day, transfer it to a sterile qt where you can start NFG as needed.

OP
OP
Gilbert50

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one hand Ich is not fatal in the short term whereas bacteria can kill quickly.

On the other , the fish is improving, eating and almost finished with copper.

I would finish one more day of copper if the fish looks like it will survive the day and you are sure copper levels have stayed theraputic. Then, after the 10th day, transfer it to a sterile qt where you can start NFG as needed.
Sounds good! Thanks again!!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help...can I combine Nitrofuracin Green & Copper Power?

Thanks!
Yes. It works extremely well on tangs and butterflies that for example are developing those nasty red-ish areas that can go sideways really fast, especially during copper treatment as the fish's immune system is suppressed.

Back