Nitrogen Question

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another question I'm planning on doing the fishless cycling method with Dr. Tim's One and Only and his ammonia. My question is do I need to have the powerheads/wavemakers while doing the cycle or will I be okay with just the HOB filter in the mean time while cycling? Thanks again!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and hob filter? It should be fine though and will most likely cycle fine if there is just a little flow

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice on doing the fishless cycle :). I do not understand why people cycle tanks with fish I just find it to be a lack of judgement and cruel to the animals when it is 100% avoidable.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice on doing the fishless cycle :). I do not understand why people cycle tanks with fish I just find it to be a lack of judgement and cruel to the animals when it is 100% avoidable.
Yeah I would like to have fish as soon as possible but I do feel bad for the fish and don't feel like losing money lol

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact setup right now! You'll enjoy the tank! I enjoy my Tidal 55. You can put whatever media you want in it as well. Powerhead is completely optional when cycling and probably optional until you have coral in there as well. Its more than enough flow for a fish or two until you find what you like. I also run a HOB skimmer with mine. But you don't need one of those till you have fish either also optional. If you do routine maintenance.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact setup right now! You'll enjoy the tank! I enjoy my Tidal 55. You can put whatever media you want in it as well. Powerhead is completely optional when cycling and probably optional until you have coral in there as well. Its more than enough flow for a fish or two until you find what you like. I also run a HOB skimmer with mine. But you don't need one of those till you have fish either also optional. If you do routine maintenance.
Oh really? Nice!! I haven't ordered it yet but plan to today or tomorrow. What media do you use or recommend? I bought some chemi-pure blue with my salt order the other day but not sure if I actually need it...

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? Nice!! I haven't ordered it yet but plan to today or tomorrow. What media do you use or recommend? I bought some chemi-pure blue with my salt order the other day but not sure if I actually need it...
You won't need any at first. I think its nice to have chemipure around incase you need to run carbon or filter something out of you tank so that was a good choice. The Tidal 55 will come with Bio media in a pouch and thats where all you good bacteria will live besides on your rock and sand. So just wash it off and then put it in the filter. If you want you can buy some filter floss to help keep your water clearer. Tidal makes their own polishing pads theyre kinda expensive you can just buy some and cut it to fit in the back. If you want to run a skimmer that is cheap and works well on your tank I suggest the aquatic life 115. I'll link it.

It does exactly what it should for our size tank. Easy to setup and use. If you don't want to use a skimmer you don't have to. The Tidal 55 has a surface skimmer which isn't the same but it helps as well. I run both filter and skimmer and a powerhead that is 480gph. I dont run the powerhead all the time my fish as still small and lazy but the coral like it so I give each a break about half the day lol

Have you ordered a heater yet?

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't need any at first. I think its nice to have chemipure around incase you need to run carbon or filter something out of you tank so that was a good choice. The Tidal 55 will come with Bio media in a pouch and thats where all you good bacteria will live besides on your rock and sand. So just wash it off and then put it in the filter. If you want you can buy some filter floss to help keep your water clearer. Tidal makes their own polishing pads theyre kinda expensive you can just buy some and cut it to fit in the back. If you want to run a skimmer that is cheap and works well on your tank I suggest the aquatic life 115. I'll link it.

It does exactly what it should for our size tank. Easy to setup and use. If you don't want to use a skimmer you don't have to. The Tidal 55 has a surface skimmer which isn't the same but it helps as well. I run both filter and skimmer and a powerhead that is 480gph. I dont run the powerhead all the time my fish as still small and lazy but the coral like it so I give each a break about half the day lol

Have you ordered a heater yet?

Awesome thanks for the info will definitely put that skimmer on my wishlist for later in case I decided to get it....I have heard good things about it ....not yet was thinking about getting an ehiem Jager....

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for.the info....not yet was thinking about getting an ehiem Jager....
Yeah just make sure you get a 100w to 150w. You will eventually need a light if you go corals as well. That can wait till after you have a cycled tank and if you don't want corals and just rock and fish also fine.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just make sure you get a 100w to 150w. You will eventually need a light if you go corals as well. That can wait till after you have a cycled tank and if you don't want corals and just rock and fish also fine.
Yup added a 100w one in my cart last night.....yeah I was thinking a Chinese black box maybe DsunY

Last edited:

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup added a 100w one in my cart last night.....yeah I was think a Chinese black box maybe DsunY
The most expensive thing you'll buy will be the light. And depending on how you want something hung or mounted or however also factors in. Theres a lot of options and really it is just money and how much you want to spend on a light.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most expensive thing you'll buy will be the light. And depending on how you want something hung or mounted or however also factors in. Theres a lot of options and really it is just money and how much you want to spend on a light.
Yeah I prefer something mounted....I'm also trying to figure out what Rodi system to get was thinking Aquatic life buddies 50 gallons a day but not sure....seems like a good deal but never purchased one never needed to with fresh water.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I prefer something mounted....I'm also trying to figure out what Rodi system to get was thinking Aquatic life buddies 50 gallons a day but not sure....seems like a good deal but never purchased one never needed to with fresh water.

That is an easy one to use and with a smaller tank would work fine. It will still take awhile to fill up your tank but you can make RODI before you set it up or just make it right into your tank and pour in salt. Won't hurt without any fish in there.

But that one will work fine. From what I understand their cartridges are a little more expensive than a larger unit. But in the long run you might not need a larger unit. So its a trade off but I think that one is a good choice.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an easy one to use and with a smaller tank would work fine. It will still take awhile to fill up your tank but you can make RODI before you set it up or just make it right into your tank and pour in salt. Won't hurt without any fish in there.

But that one will work fine. From what I understand their cartridges are a little more expensive than a larger unit. But in the long run you might not need a larger unit. So its a trade off but I think that one is a good choice.
Really more expensive? Hmm what other ones would you recommend? I also don't want to produce tons waste water causing my water bill to skyrocket....so would it be better to get one that produces more gallons a day so save in the long run?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really more expensive? Hmm what other ones would you recommend? I also don't want to produce tons waste water causing my water bill to skyrocket....so would it be better to get one that produces more gallons a day so save in the long run?
I think the one you've chose is good. Its what most would recommend if you aren't doing a more expensive one from BRS. I just remember finding a chart out somewhere that had the prices and there's were more expensive. But its all less than going and buying water.

And all of them are going to have serious waste. Like a 1/4 ratio some less but you're gonna get like 1 gallon for every 4 or something. Take one or two less baths and take a shower and they even out really. Filling up your bath tub is a lot of wasted water.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll also want a TDS tester to make sure you know when the canisters are depleted. You can find them really cheap or some units come with them as a bonus. The model you chose the media changed colors to let you know when to change it but the TDS would tell you for sure. Also a refractometer or hydrometer to know your salinity is correct.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use an auto top off system either. Later u could look into one. I just have a sharpie mark on the back of my tank I look at where it is everyday when I got to feed fish and add usually 3 cups of water to get back to the mark. ATOs are a convenience thing but on huge tanks very necessary you don't want to dump a 5 gal everyday by hand.

Back