nixers 4'x4'x1' build

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I almost bought a tank just like this about a year ago. I have seen one set-up and it blew me away. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice man. Have you had a shallow tank like that before? I'm running a 12" tall tank and I really do love it. I'd probably go just a tad bit higher next time, but really have enjoyed this height.

What are you planning to put in it?

OP
OP
N

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice man. Have you had a shallow tank like that before? I'm running a 12" tall tank and I really do love it. I'd probably go just a tad bit higher next time, but really have enjoyed this height.

What are you planning to put in it?

no i sure have not. its going to me mostly zoas and lps. perhaps some clams.

Nice looking tank! Is it going to be a display or frag tank?

its going to be a display i think im going to model it off of firereefs build only instead of an island im thinking volcano with possibally some mangroves

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I would love to have a tank like that. Perfect chalice tank!
Are you using this tank as a main display, or a grow out tank?

OP
OP
N

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I would love to have a tank like that. Perfect chalice tank!
Are you using this tank as a main display, or a grow out tank?

i have a few other tanks, im going to go down to this one and my 180. its going to be both really. im growing tired of tiny frags littered throught my other tanks. im desiring the room for good size colonies and i dont like the look of everything tossed together on egg crate.

OP
OP
N

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, cubes(almost anyway) are sweet! Is it going to be veiwable from all 4 sides?

nope just 3 sides. it has an overflow on the back. i might ever black out the back, but i have nto made up my mind on that yet.

OP
OP
N

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man im having a hard time figuring out the sump on this tank do to such a high surface area.
im about stuck on a 40 breeder with a 20 fuge alongside

OP
OP
N

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not soon enough :(
i did just order a water blaster 5000 pump which is backordered :(, but i just might call and change my order to a reeflo. i did get a few pieces of rock that i liked, but nothing major as of yet.
oh yea i also got that section of drywall done and painted.
im still pondering if im going to have flow issues (sandstorms)since the tank is only 12" high. does anyone happen to have a link or any info about rock structures with plumbing built in?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to get an update :)

I don't think you'll have a sandstorm with running the Vortechs. Like I said, I was running 2 tanks that were only 12" tall, and didn't have a problem with it.

OP
OP
N

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to get an update :)

I don't think you'll have a sandstorm with running the Vortechs. Like I said, I was running 2 tanks that were only 12" tall, and didn't have a problem with it.

yea i hate going to a build thread and not having any updates atleast gotta show a complete pic.
well between that and im worried about not enough flow. you know its always something

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i have a big build thread going right now, and i've updated it, but I don't think anyone is reading cause its not very interesting right now cause I don't have the tank yet, haha.

OP
OP
N

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pump came in and is installed in my ghetto sump.... 27 gallon strong box(actually doesnt bow) with a cat litter bucket for a skimmer chamber(surprisingly quiet) COME ON PETCO DOLLAR A GALLON SALE! for a skimmer im temp. using a octopus nw100 i had laying around.
i have around 40 lbs of shelf rock and a nice centerpiece marco rock which fits the tank great.

does anyone have any links of lagoons that you liked?

i went to the indmas swap and picked up some sweet corals from cherry corals and yz reefs. i also got some more CUC from reefkoi.

also thursday me and the gf went to fridays and i got a great idea for covering the lights(you know those round ones they have hanging from the ceiling in the bar area). im still considering which leds i want, but im leaning towards a 200w 2g evolution or i might sneak my 2 120w ones on there and see how that goes.

OP
OP
N

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well heres some pics of the current scape what do you guys think? be honest please :D

right
DSC00121.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

left
DSC00123.jpg

front
DSC00124.jpg

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet footprint...although it would be a little too shallow for me unless you have a chair or something to sit in while you watch it...either that or bring the tank up to eye level.

OP
OP
N

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh its like 2 feet away from my computer desk. so i can sit there and watch or i can sit in my recliner and watch. i still need to pickup some locline, dress up the cords, move the korala, and skin the stand

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back