No Algae

Vezos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.
I have a 25 gallon tank that was setup two years ago, filled it with water and started cycling it with shrimp but due to some personal issues the tank stayed neglected for about a year and a half. A few months ago I topped off the tank with freshwater and the nitrate reading were 200+. I did a 100% water change got the cycle done and added a few mollies. I've been heavily feeding the fish for the past couple of months the nitrate has been at 40ppm but my issue is that there has been no Algae whatsoever. This might not seem as an issue but i would like the water chemistry to be right before I add any saltwater fish.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your nitrites. If you have any they will interfere with your nitrate tests.

OP
OP
V

Vezos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your nitrites. If you have any they will interfere with your nitrate tests.
I did a test there seems to be no ammonia(it looks greener in the picture) or nitrites.

Attachments

• PXL_20230111_145406231.jpg
    PXL_20230111_145406231.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 23

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.
I have a 25 gallon tank that was setup two years ago, filled it with water and started cycling it with shrimp but due to some personal issues the tank stayed neglected for about a year and a half. A few months ago I topped off the tank with freshwater and the nitrate reading were 200+. I did a 100% water change got the cycle done and added a few mollies. I've been heavily feeding the fish for the past couple of months the nitrate has been at 40ppm but my issue is that there has been no Algae whatsoever. This might not seem as an issue but i would like the water chemistry to be right before I add any saltwater fish.

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a tank(110G) with no algae. It's been up and running 2 1/2 years. I get some on the glass but none on the sand or live rock. I supplement the fish diet with Nori. Normally at this point I would have a lot of coralline algae. But I have no algae whatsoever. I have an LED light on the way that will be twice the intensity of my present light. But I keep wondering if my UV sterilizer is causing a lack of nutrients for algae growth. My water parameters are excellent. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back