No Ammonia but off the charts Nitrite (Cycling)

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently doing a fishless cycle with Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride and Bacteria. Yesterday my Ammonia was down to zero, and my Nitrite test was blood red. I mean almost a little violet - so it was higher than what my test could measure :) I use RedSeas test kit.

Nitrates is about 50.

I am just going to double check with you guys; so at this point i will wait for Nitrite to go down to zero and do a water change? Is this amount of Nitrite less good when i am cycling my tank? I'm afraid i will somehow ruin my cycle. At the same time i think the bacteria will at some point do their thing and eat up the Nitrite and make Nitrate.

Maybe it's time to add a little more Ammonia and see if it consumes it within 24 hours? Or should i wait for Nitrite = 0? That way i know i am on the right track, because i'm not sure i'm fully cycled without the Nitrite being down to zero.

Some stats for you:
150 gallon with 40g sump
Ph is 8.2
Alk is 7.

Thank you for your input! :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While nitrites aren't necessarily toxic in saltwater like they in fresh, I would wait for the nitrites to at least start dropping before adding any inhabitants.

FWIW, the presence of nitrites will show a really high value for nitrates.

I would not add any more ammonia.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While nitrites aren't necessarily toxic in saltwater like they in fresh, I would wait for the nitrites to at least start dropping before adding any inhabitants.

FWIW, the presence of nitrites will show a really high value for nitrates.

I would not add any more ammonia.
Thanks, then i will just wait until the Nitrite is down before i check that the cycle is completed with the help of Ammonia :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the test kit allows for zero, many won’t. Then we r here till spring break

if the test does allow for zero then in a month w probably be ok

when the timeframe on the bottle of bac has been met, this tank can do a water change and begin. For example, fritz is about two days. Dr tims bottle bac about ten. Brightwell is really slow, a month

having nitrates shows the bottle bac aren’t dead, so by default their instruction timeframes on the label are more accurate than our color test kits. Even the nitrate might be 2-80 based on the report of 50

in the chemistry forum there are posts showing fifty ppm spreads among kits on same sample.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the test kit allows for zero, many won’t. Then we r here till spring break

if the test does allow for zero then in a month w probably be ok

when the timeframe on the bottle of bac has been met, this tank can do a water change and begin. For example, fritz is about two days. Dr tims bottle bac about ten. Brightwell is really slow, a month

having nitrates shows the bottle bac aren’t dead, so by default their instruction timeframes on the label are more accurate than our color test kits. Even the nitrate might be 2-80 based on the report of 50

in the chemistry forum there are posts showing fifty ppm spreads among kits on same sample.
Do you mean that i can do a water change maybe like in this weekend and then perhaps add a few drops of Ammonia to see if it consumes it in 24h?

I have been testing every day for 18 days now. I agree on the tests might not show zero...
EDIT: I just wanted to say that i don't mind waiting for my tank to be ready :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bottle bac did u use

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it’s dr Tims I see/ ten days. Why not run this test:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that's a very specific way to account for test kit drift and still know if a cycle is done or in that case stalled

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that's a very specific way to account for test kit drift and still know if a cycle is done or in that case stalled
Thank you, interesting and i will read through it. But the title says change 100% of the water, and i do not have the capacity to change all of it once, only 200 litres in one go.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What test kits are you using as im assuming API with these results ?
As part of the ammonia cycle, if nitrates are up, there has to be likely presence of Ammonia and Nitrite.
Hopefully , you are not testing right after adding bacteria as you may get a false reading. allow 8-12 hours after adding bacteria or performing water change to test.
If high reading persists, you may want to do a good water change , but before that, I would take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test for you to verify reading(s).

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ha nice

we better modify that part

we are going on the assumption ten days should suffice, so your current levels are ok for pic 1 bc you haven’t recently charged up ammonia

so pic one is without the big water change. Just as the water sits now. That fella had eight ppm we were trying to clear. The main takeaway is that we don’t need zero on a test kit nowadays, that post shows the movement and eventual anemone / fish as proof, after the movement.

if your system will produce a very small rise, then drop, and you’ve met the bottle bac directions=same outcome as J’s

the two other parameters don’t matter, only the ammonia and number of days underwater per directions, those are well-tested depositional timeframes on the bottles. Reefers demanding a hard zero on the test kits is where the noncompliance happens lol but the timeframes still made the base filtration layer, evidenced as some nitrate / handy confirming param but not required to know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using as im assuming API with these results ?
As part of the ammonia cycle, if nitrates are up, there has to be likely presence of Ammonia and Nitrite.
Hopefully , you are not testing right after adding bacteria as you may get a false reading. allow 8-12 hours after adding bacteria or performing water change to test.
If high reading persists, you may want to do a good water change , but before that, I would take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test for you to verify reading(s).
Hi! I have the Red Sea API Reef Care Multi Test Kit :) I have tested every day for 18 days and yes i think there is probably a little Ammonia left. The tests is yellowish to the tint so i guess near zero or something.

I'm not sure i trust my LFS to be honest, they are kind and all but sometimes i they have the wrong info :) So i would rather take a test and post it here for example hehe.

As for the Nitrite as i wrote above, is really not Magenta in colour anymore, it's like blood red / almost violet (ish)

I have my test results here:

Added 30 ml AmmoniakAdded 30 ml AmmoniakAdded 10 ml Ammoniak15:e November 2020Dr. Tim: Add fish if zeroAdded a pinch of fish food for carbonExactly 1 NitriteDefinitively more than 1 in NitriteDefinitively more than 1 in NitriteNitrite 5?23:e November. Nitrit up to 6?Nitrite violettNitrite violett
Day123456789101112131415161718
Nh3 (Ammoniak)222222222222221,20,40,20
No2 (Nitrit)00000,050,050,20,51111111
Ph8,28,28,28,28,28,28,28,28,28,28,28,28,28,28,2
Nitrat20505050
Alkalinitet7

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had same experience w Dr Tims. Ammonia did proper up and down, nitrites and nitrates through the roof. I think it's because I would redose Ammonia to make sure the tank could clear an Ammonia load. Either way the nitrites didn't move for a week and about day 21 or so I finally did a 25% water change. After this the nitrites and nitrate dropped like rocks. I think the nitrate high rating was due to nitrites being high. Gave a couple days all being 0 added 1st fish. I did put a cheap Ammonia alert on my tank just to be safer and still reading 0, 4 days after 1st fish.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jonas' tank is ready he can reef after a large water change. We would not expect all three params to line up/ test kits vary. going off updated cycling rules, and the thirty+ tanks we have on file using them, he can begin. after a big water change to export the wastewater/mixed dosing water.

Last edited:

Reef253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had same experience w Dr Tims. Ammonia did proper up and down, nitrites and nitrates through the roof. I think it's because I would redose Ammonia to make sure the tank could clear an Ammonia load. Either way the nitrites didn't move for a week and about day 21 or so I finally did a 25% water change. After this the nitrites and nitrate dropped like rocks. I think the nitrate high rating was due to nitrites being high. Gave a couple days all being 0 added 1st fish. I did put a cheap Ammonia alert on my tank just to be safer and still reading 0, 4 days after

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back