No ammonia nitrates at 5ppm for 2 weeks

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia is 0 in my tank and processed quickly. However my nitrite are stuck at 5ppm for two weeks now. I know it takes time but what the heck how is there no change in nitrite especially when I’m growing algae.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running for exactly? What are your nitrates? Have you added any fish recently?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what are you using to test for these levels of Ammonia and Nitrite?

OP
OP
biocubeboy

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running for exactly? What are your nitrates? Have you added any fish recently?
I’m doing a fish less cycle. I used life rock not live rock Life rock by Caribsea, Caribsea live sand, Tim’s one and only and ammonia up to 2ppm then it dropped off. My nitrates are blood red the highest the API test will go around 150ppm.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there you go... High nitrates will prelude to higher nitrites. I would just let the cycle do it's thing and keep checking your pm's.

OP
OP
biocubeboy

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there you go... High nitrates will prelude to higher nitrites. I would just let the cycle do it's thing and keep checking your pm's.
Well looks like I’m in for a 2 month cycle then

OP
OP
biocubeboy

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve literally been told 4 different things about this. Some said water change, wait, dose more ammonia, too much ammonia. I’m about to just throw a fish in and if it dies it dies.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve literally been told 4 different things about this. Some said water change, wait, dose more ammonia, too much ammonia. I’m about to just throw a fish in and if it dies it dies.

I started a new tank with all dry rock earlier this year and experienced a very similar situation.

My Nitrates were very high and also was also getting nitrites. I did not do any water changes but began phantom feeding the tank. It took about 3 weeks for my nitrates and nitrites to fall down. It's a waiting game at this point IME.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh?

Ammonia--->Nitrites---->Nitrates

if your tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and sky high nitrates, I'd say your tank is already cycled.

OP
OP
biocubeboy

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new tank with all dry rock earlier this year and experienced a very similar situation.

My Nitrates were very high and also was also getting nitrites. I did not do any water changes but began phantom feeding the tank. It took about 3 weeks for my nitrates and nitrites to fall down. It's a waiting game at this point IME.
Thank you so much that’s all I needed. Why does everyone think they have the best answer and have to give 50 different options. You’re the first one to just give me facts. THE DUDE

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh?

if your tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and sky high nitrates, I'd say your tank is already cycled.

OP said nitrites were 5ppm not 0.

Op is your light off? No way should you be having algae issues so soon.

If your nitrite is 5, your nitrates will look large but it’s a false reading, until your nitrites read 0 your nitrates will read in the test higher than there are, it’s just the way the nitrate test works, so don’t stress too much over that.

once your nitrites start dropping they drop fast, not sure how you cycled exactly but it sounds you are not far off, maybe try a different test for nitrites a lot of people don’t get on with api tests, salifert is good for nitrites.
Sorry but have to say, you need a lot of patience in this hobby, within a matter of days you have lost it over noise in the tank now the cycle, I would take a deep breath and really enjoy the slow peace of this hobby because rushing it, things go bad really quickly.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh?

I was going to comment but you got there first.

OP
OP
biocubeboy

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP said nitrites were 5ppm not 0.

Op is your light off? No way should you be having algae issues so soon.

If your nitrite is 5, your nitrates will look large but it’s a false reading, until your nitrites read 0 your nitrates will read in the test higher than there are, it’s just the way the nitrate test works, so don’t stress too much over that.

once your nitrites start dropping they drop fast, not sure how you cycled exactly but it sounds you are not far off, maybe try a different test for nitrites a lot of people don’t get on with api tests, salifert is good for nitrites.
Sorry but have to say, you need a lot of patience in this hobby, within a matter of days you have lost it over noise in the tank now the cycle, I would take a deep breath and really enjoy the slow peace of this hobby because rushing it, things go bad really quickly.
I bet $100 you're a liberal. That's the only way you could think patience is the answer for my loud pump issues, and a simple question about my cycle. Please never respond to one of my post again.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet $100 you're a liberal. That's the only way you could think patience is the answer for my loud pump issues, and a simple question about my cycle. Please never respond to one of my post again.

you just lost $100!
You said you were going to put fish in if the tank was ready or not, I think patience was a valid comment.

OP
OP
biocubeboy

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you just lost $100!
You said you were going to put fish in if the tank was ready or not, I think patience was a valid comment.
Nitrite doesn’t kill fish people do it. You offered no solutions and just want to ramble nonsense. You’re definitely a liberal and a worthless one at that.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite doesn’t kill fish people do it. You offered no solutions and just want to ramble nonsense. You’re definitely a liberal and a worthless one at that.

why do you insist on bringing politics into a reef discussion?

I offered a few helpful comments, your inability to see that is not on me.

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh?

Does this still apply to me too? I'm on day 4 of cycling a new tank. Amonia = 0 Nitrite = 0 and Nitrate is 8

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back