No copper quarantine method?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious is there any quarantine methods that skip the copper? I'm trying to see if there are any methods/procedures being used with other medications and not using any type of copper medication during a quarantine cycle on new fish.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the alternative to copper is chloroquine phosphate which given the current state of the world is quite a bit more difficult to acquire for aquarium use. You'll need to get a prescription for it realistically. Or you can buy from a sketchy source on ebay.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Transfer Method

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low salinity helps control ich and definitely controls Neobenedenia. Properly done, copper is still my go-to initial quarantine stage, even if it is just the very mild coppersafe...
Jay

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low salinity helps control ich and definitely controls Neobenedenia. Properly done, copper is still my go-to initial quarantine stage, even if it is just the very mild coppersafe...
Jay
Why is copper safe considered more mild? Is it still considered mild when run at therapeutic levels of 2.00 PPM? @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is copper safe considered more mild? Is it still considered mild when run at therapeutic levels of 2.00 PPM? @Jay Hemdal
I've used Coppersafe for 40+ years and aside for some eels going off feed and issues with mandarins, I've never seen any negative reaction when dosing it at label instructions. That said, I HAVE seen it fail to cure bad Cryptocaryon infections - so I put those two things together and say it is a pretty mild copper treatment (grin).

Jay

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Coppersafe for 40+ years and aside for some eels going off feed and issues with mandarins, I've never seen any negative reaction when dosing it at label instructions. That said, I HAVE seen it fail to cure bad Cryptocaryon infections - so I put those two things together and say it is a pretty mild copper treatment (grin).

Jay
Makes total sense. I was going to say I used after a flame angel showed ICH in QT and it cured it up and no other fish in the QT have showed symptoms. I have 1 more week and then it will be a full 30+ days of copper in therapeutic levels. Than 14 days after without copper to observe.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM is the way to go. I did TTM with all of my fish. It only takes 12 days. I did use prazipro for some of the fish as well. This way I don't have to worry about how much copper to measure, etc. I have a 300g full of thriving fish that is Ich-Free. You can do it as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM is the way to go. I did TTM with all of my fish. It only takes 12 days. I did use prazipro for some of the fish as well. This way I don't have to worry about how much copper to measure, etc. I have a 300g full of thriving fish that is Ich-Free. You can do it as well.
TTM doesn’t handle Neobenedenia, and I’m suspicious if it can handle Amyloodinium as well. If you do TTM, you still need a comprehensive fluke protocol as well.
Jay

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM doesn’t handle Neobenedenia, and I’m suspicious if it can handle Amyloodinium as well. If you do TTM, you still need a comprehensive fluke protocol as well.
Jay
I'm not familiar with those 2 diseases but I do use prazipro for fish prone to have flukes. So far so good. My tank is disease and ich free. And I'm at the max so I won't have to worry about adding anything else.

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here, but I saw Tidal Gardens runs Formalin instead of Copper for their Quarantine. They say it’s faster and just as effective?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here, but I saw Tidal Gardens runs Formalin instead of Copper for their Quarantine. They say it’s faster and just as effective?

I couldn't watch the 35 minute video, so I can't comment specifically on what they are proposing. However - formalin is a good treatment for Amyloodinium and Flukes (at the correct dose) but in these cases, you need to move the fish to a fresh tank after each treatment. Formalin has been used as an adjunct to treating Cryptocaryon (marine ich) but as a fast, primary treatment, it isn't recommended.

Jay

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would follow this new TTM method.I have used this for a few fish now and have had no problems. Mind you, I also use general cure and put in a observation tank after the TTM is done for another week and medicate with medicine if needed (depending on signs of disease). Fresh water baths also huge (match RO water temp with QT tank temp).

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
@Humblefish has a post on his/her site regarding a modified TTM for velvet: https://humble.fish/ttm-for-velvet/

I have no experience what so ever to say whether it works, just posting it as a point of information. Perhaps s/he can chime in?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious is there any quarantine methods that skip the copper? I'm trying to see if there are any methods/procedures being used with other medications and not using any type of copper medication during a quarantine cycle on new fish.
The first question is ‘What’s your goal with quarantining?’ Are you trying to prevent any diseases from entering your display tank Or are you just trying to make sure your fish is healthy and eating well? If It’s the former, then the follow up question is what diseases are you worried about? Since you asked about copper, I'll assume you are worried about velvet and ich.

If it‘s cryptocaryon (ich) your options are:

For Amyloodinium (velvet) the options I know of are:
  • Copper
  • Chloroquine phosphate
  • Formalin (Usually needs to be combined with something else)
  • Humble Fish has posted a tank transfer protocol for velvet. I don't have any experience to recommend for or against it.
  • Observation
Chloroquine phosphate is the natural alternative to copper for active treatment of ich and velvet, but it's hard to get nowadays. After that, I would recommend tank transfer, either the original or his modified version to cover velvet.

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one would be able to get and use Chloroquine phosphate, how does one test for dosage in the water column over time and if / when water changes are done? What’s the correct dose per gallon?

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one would be able to get and use Chloroquine phosphate, how does one test for dosage in the water column over time and if / when water changes are done? What’s the correct dose per gallon?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my original article. I've since reduced my dosing rate to 12 mg/l for most cases due to toxicity that I was seeing in some fish.

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back