No DDR But Want The Fusion DDR Tile, No Problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can across this great hack for those that have the Apex DOS and want to see the liquid volume tile in Fusion but don't want to spend the money on a DDR.

You do not even need the connector, I just wired the 2 pins together and bingo, Fusion told me I had a new tile :)

Screenshot_20220508-125345.png

IMG_20220508_114220643.jpg

Hope you find this of use.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hack aside you really need to use a proper plug and modify it down stream on the cable and not the connector. This is a huge fire risk not to mention the increased damage to the device it is plugged into. It isn't also just the device it is plugged into but rather devices down stream are also at risk.

It would only increase the work and cost a little bit for a much larger return on peace of mind.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hack aside you really need to use a proper plug and modify it down stream on the cable and not the connector. This is a huge fire risk not to mention the increased damage to the device it is plugged into. It isn't also just the device it is plugged into but rather devices down stream are also at risk.

It would only increase the work and cost a little bit for a much larger return on peace of mind.
While I agree using a plug would be a lot nicer looking I think calling this a fire hazard is a bit of a stretch.

I did the same thing using a plug and a resistor with everything covered in heat shrink. It’s a great, easy hack that is great if your dosing containers are hidden in a cabinet. Honestly it should have been built into fusion without having to hack it. My cheap Kamoer dosers even tell me how much liquid is left.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree using a plug would be a lot nicer looking I think calling this a fire hazard is a bit of a stretch.

I did the same thing using a plug and a resistor with everything covered in heat shrink. It’s a great, easy hack that is great if your dosing containers are hidden in a cabinet. Honestly it should have been built into fusion without having to hack it. My cheap Kamoer dosers even tell me how much liquid is left.

I didn't mention anything about 'nicer looking' or aesthetics. That isn't the issue at all. The issue is around the wires being exposed which present a risk of a short, electric shock, or worse. They are also not secure. Then there is the whole warranty thing that just flew out the window and of course the major one, liability...

Based on the response I can see it doesn't matter so will leave you be. All the best.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't mention anything about 'nicer looking' or aesthetics. That isn't the issue at all. The issue is around the wires being exposed which present a risk of a short, electric shock, or worse. They are also not secure. Then there is the whole warranty thing that just flew out the window and of course the major one, liability...

Based on the response I can see it doesn't matter so will leave you be. All the best.
I apologize, I should’ve said “I think” not “I agree”. The only comment I made about your statement was that I think saying it is a fire hazard is a stretch. We’re not talking about high voltage or high current electric.
Sorry if my comment came off as argumentative, it was not meant to be.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize, I should’ve said “I think” not “I agree”. The only comment I made about your statement was that I think saying it is a fire hazard is a stretch. We’re not talking about high voltage or high current electric.
Sorry if my comment came off as argumentative, it was not meant to be.

No need to apologize. We are fellow hobbyists and neither was disrespectful. All the best.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The port pins are already exposed with no existing water protection. It’s low voltage signaling for a optical sensor.

Random cable to jump two pins is good enough for me!

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you manually set the volume of the container you're using? I dose right out of 5l red sea jugs and simply swap them when they're empty. I just want to make sure it doesn't default to and only allow the DDR volume.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you manually set the volume of the container you're using? I dose right out of 5l red sea jugs and simply swap them when they're empty. I just want to make sure it doesn't default to and only allow the DDR volume.
Yes you can set the container size to anything you want.
When setting them up it’s easy to change to any container size you want

IMG_9451.png

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can set the container size to anything you want.
When setting them up it’s easy to change to any container size you want

IMG_9451.png

Interesting...

But you have to use the jumper pin hack to make that setting active, right?

Seems weird. If you're tricking it into thinking you're using a DOS container, you would think the volume would be preset for the size of the DOS container and not adjustable, right?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...

But you have to use the jumper pin hack to make that setting active, right?

Seems weird. If you're tricking it into thinking you're using a DOS container, you would think the volume would be preset for the size of the DOS container and not adjustable, right?
Yes I am jumping across two pins with a resistor to trick the apex into allowing that tile for the ddr. I don’t know if using the actual ddr allows for changing the container size (I suspect you can but don’t see why it would allow you to), but I know with the hack you can.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am jumping across two pins with a resistor to trick the apex into allowing that tile for the ddr. I don’t know if using the actual ddr allows for changing the container size (I suspect you can but don’t see why it would allow you to), but I know with the hack you can.

Do you really need the resistor? The video at the top of the thread is just a jumper between the top left and top right on the 6 pin micro molex. Seemed to work for him, right?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really need the resistor? The video at the top of the thread is just a jumper between the top left and top right on the 6 pin micro molex. Seemed to work for him, right?
I used a resistor to drop the voltage down to what the real ddr would send to the pin. I essentially just followed the direction that I read on another thread.

I have heard of plenty of other people who just jump the pins together without issue. It was just me being overly cautious.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the jumper on both my DOS dosers and has worked fine for months like that.

And yes, you can adust the dosing container volumes using this method.
Screenshot_20230516-211122.png

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the jumper mod today. No resistor. Worked like a champ (knock on wood).

The optical tiles were activated and are reading as closed, but I just left those in the un used tile section.

For $10 or whatever, this was a great mod to have a visual on the remaining display volumes. I had the DDR a while back, but I didn't care for it and then the optical sensors rusted and I gave it away... Now I just dose right out of the 5 liter red sea liquid containers and swap them when they're empty.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 15-59-34.png

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Do you need to leave the jumper plugged in, or is it just temporary to get the tile to show up?

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you find the connector to fit in the 6-pin Molex? I have some 6 pin molex for computer power supplies, but they are larger than what is on the DOS.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that’s a useful hack. Just cause of where my doser is, I’ll probably use the connector but very useful none the less

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back