NO Flow and LOW Flow Zones in your saltwater reef aquarium? Good idea?

Are low flow or no flow zones in your reef aquarium a good idea?

• YES

Votes: 138 42.3%
  • NO

Votes: 87 26.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 90 27.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 3.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We're still "going with the flow" theme for today! But instead of talking high flow or random flow let's talk about NO FLOW or LOW FLOW zones! There are certain corals, fish and other livestock that benefit fron low or almost no flow. Let's talk about it!

Do you have any low or no flow zones in your tank?

image via @Ben Seaver
8619e2f60a63241c7f261969f52d508c.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, this is to help the fish that want a break have a break or coral that hates high flow. I have low flow in the back corners of my nano and where there may be a rock in the way of my flow in the 4’ tank it may cause low flow.
Are they a good idea? They have their pros and cons, much like everything in this hobby. If you have high nutrients they may become areas for Cyano or other algae to thrive in.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about flow velocity or flow volume? I do not think that low volume spots are desirable. But low velocity spots are absolutely essential.

We should (all) be shooting for high volume. Velocity depends on the inhabitants.

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have low flow areas for fish to hid and take a break. However i have noticed more detritus and some algae build up in these areas even with low nutrients.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My low flow area is in my sump where my detritus builds up. It didn't take engineering or thoughts to begin using this.

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think that no flow is a good idea, but could be beneficial during cleaning time as all the uneaten food and detritus should gather at this location. So I guess good cleaning will be a key to this.

Low flow areas are a must IMHO, for corals, fish, and other creatures that like a lower flow area.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In today's reefing world a low flow area is almost necessary to create a place of nutrient build up since it's so easy to strip nutrients today. My low flow area is the back corner of my tank. If need be it can be vacuumed easily. Another settling area is in my final sump which is another place that's easy to to vacuum up.

Every other place in my system is high flow.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, these are absolutely a must have for my tank.

Yes, the top edge of the sump and the top edge of the tank are no flow zones! We just put new floors in the house and any flow out of the tank will not make her happy, at all.

Renee Zellweger Water GIF by Working Title

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"No flow" or really low flow seems like a bad idea anywhere. Water movement allows for nutrient import/export for sessile organisms.

Completely indirect flow seems to be really good for some organisms though, for instance at the end of my tank (MP40s on each end) it is almost entirely indirect "upwelling" to the intakes of the pumps, and LPS and softies seem to love that type of flow.

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, if we are truly trying to create an environment that is as close to natural as we can get then yes it is absolutely important to have low flow or even no flow areas in the tank. But as others have stated it also depends on the needs of the inhabitants of the tank. A more diverse tank will require a larger diversity of flow than say a FOWLR, SPS,or LPS tank. Assessing the needs of the inhabitants is above all the most important factor.

Aquarian86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're still "going with the flow" theme for today! But instead of talking high flow or random flow let's talk about NO FLOW or LOW FLOW zones! There are certain corals, fish and other livestock that benefit fron low or almost no flow. Let's talk about it!

image via @Ben Seaver
8619e2f60a63241c7f261969f52d508c.jpg
I think when it comes to mushrooms and coral that have soft bodies like Xenia low flow is important to keep them alive so having a low flow zone where you can grow them is important if you wish to keep them.

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow despite of 2 similar Gyres on the same settings I have low-flow zone in the right corner. And it's very helpful, i can just suck all the **** / remaining food / whatever else out each week during the WC. Other parts of my bare bottom are extremely clean!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back