NO Flow and LOW Flow Zones in your saltwater reef aquarium? Good idea?

Are low flow or no flow zones in your reef aquarium a good idea?

• YES

Votes: 138 42.3%
  • NO

Votes: 87 26.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 90 27.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 3.4%

• Total voters

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I have a lot of fleshy LPS corals (Scolys, Acanthophylias, Cynarinas, etc) and all of them are in low flow areas. Not no flow, because all corals needs some flow, but none of these fleshy guys do well in higher energy environments. Just enough to keep them clean and bring them some food once a week.

So yes, depending upon what types of corals you have, lower flow areas can be very beneficial.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say to at least have low flow would be better than anything. Im thinking at least enough to move detritus and waste to where higher flow can push it into the filtration and get filtered out. That's why i love the ecotech wave makers because they are so good at creating the random flow that your reef aquarium really needs i use 2 mp 40's and my 125 setup and will get the ecotech return pump when the older standard one i have now gives out.

ChattReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try and blast as much flow as possible around my Acros and utilize "low flow zones" for lps. I like having my power heads clean my rock work for me lol

LagoonParadise22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a mixed reef most likely your gonna have too . Flow doesn't have to be really strong it just has to be consistent and tuned just enough. Ecotech Mp40 has a very good setting called nutrient transport. I sat down and watched the tank for a hour watching the flow pattern. I noticed it keeps my LPS Suspended up so I know its constantly getting a flow with out overwhelming it . The are pumps are close to sps . Also the rocks can prevent water flow depending on your aquascape . Flow has to be top 3 most important to get right .

Attachments

• 20220805_001525.jpg
    20220805_001525.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220805_001652.jpg
    20220805_001652.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220304_154927.jpg
    20220304_154927.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 34

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to have enough flow everywhere except for one sump compartment so I can have a place where the heaviest detritus settles and can quickly and easily all be syphoned.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some patches of slower flow are desirable, as they are good spots for fleshy LPS. However, areas with no flow are just dead spots. Great for detritus and decaying matter, bad for anything else. I like to have high flow through most of the tank, as it gives the fish some exercise, helps corals, removes detritus, and keeps the water oxygenated.

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 mp40’s on my 150 gallon. It’s 60” long so I have one each near the top : one towards the front and one towards the back. I noticed that I was getting detritus build up behind the rock work so when BRS had MP40’s on the one day sale a couple of weeks ago a I bought one and placed it about 2/3 down on one side. It has cleaned up the back of the tank bottom like a champ. To keep my torch garden and hammers from being blown into the next zip code I’ve had to reduce the flow on each pump, and the side with only one pump is running a bit higher than the other two, so that the “mixing zone” where the flow from each side meets is more in the middle. The torches are dancing around a bit more than I would prefer, but they’re not just blowing to one side. My acropora is middle and up so they get a good random flow. Altogether the pumps are producing about 9000gph flow not including the return pump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back