No idea what is that…

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Live rock from an LFS, looks like a snail inside the rock?(video)
Also, what is this slimy looking thing on the rock(image)
Thanks

A8736500-2C7C-410F-B1AC-89F41D871711.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2484.MOV
    68.6 MB

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needs pics for a proper ID

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it coming out from the coral piece? It appears to be a long sweeper tentacle, but I may be mistaken (probably am lol)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not seeing a video.

If you're referring to the long string thing, and if that string comes out of a hole in the rock and kinda reaches around, that's probably a spaghetti worm or something similar. Harmless critter that feels around for gunk to grab. Expect to see more strings.

The slime stuff is probably a sponge. Encrusting sponges are technically harmless, but some fast-growing species can overgrow corals.

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay and thanks to everyone for your comments!
I've uploaded the video to YouTube so you can understand what critter I'm referring to.
I'm not talking about the spaghetti warm, I'm talking about what the spaghetti warm is touching in the first few seconds of the video.
Thanks!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's definitely some kind of snail. The mouthparts give it away. Maybe some sort of giant vermitid? But I've never heard of them being embedded in the rockwork like that.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vermited worm.

Edit: because I can't spell ... Vermetid worm.. They are awesome and can be problematic. Most reefers get rid of them.

Most of these guys would have nailed it the moment they saw the tube. Maybe they need more coffee?

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I did see it putting out the webby thing, so def a Vermetid worm or snail.
I'm actually trying to kill ick in this tank so I'm cracking up the heat there to 90+, I hope that it will get rid of the Vermetids as well.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vermitids are snails, they just act like worms. You can cover it with liquid superglue (after removing the rock from the water) to kill it, or you can leave it alone. Vermitids aren't a problem unless you have tons of them irritating your corals, and it's small ones that tend to do that (rarely), not massive ones.

That heat might kill off everything else in the tank, not just the ich. Better to raise the temp slightly and just let the tank run fallow until the ich all dies off.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back