OP
J

JCortez3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am linking this thread right now to page one of the microbiology of cycling thread, any reef tank can show zero nitrates it has nothing to do with your cycle.

In that thread we demonstrate using examples like yours that ammonia control is the only param we need to know, to begin reefing. Nitrite is fully neutral in marine aquariums anyway, no need to test for it. Can't harm a system even if it's there, nitrite always catches up in time regardless of start date for a reef tank. Nitrate, as you show, may or may not even show up but your tank keeps fish alive past ten hours because its 100% cycled.

To cycle an aquarium, we only have to measure (or demonstrate) that ammonia is controlled. Excellent thread you have here.
B
So long story short, why am I showing no nitrates and should I be doing a water change?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding nitrate reading, nitrate is for algae and coral tuning. You’re past the cycling phase, and into tank maturation care.

dose nitrate or feed more if you want it, or leave it alone and quit testing for nitrate until you have a coral or algae problem, your choice. successful nano reefs online are doing both ways.

yes water change, but not for nitrates sake. I don’t believe the test reading is accurate till another nitrate test confirms it, just ballparking so far anyway but the reason for water change 50% minimum is to export the mix of nutrients added to this tank in the name of over cycling, preparing for bright light duration soon. It’s to practice access and total forcing your now cycled reef into algae control compliance.

LAreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever solve your problem? I am going through the same thing.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re using the API test kit, it’s lowest reading other than zero is 5ppm, so even if your nitrates are 1-2ppm it’s not gonna show on an API test. You’ll need something that can test at a lower range like the Red Sea Pro Nitrates kit.

LAreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It turns our sooner or later the nitrites will go down. Every tank is different. Mine went down after 1 month or so maybe longer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back