No nitrite but has Ammonia and nitrate

Opticat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the reason why I'm not getting nitrite? 5 days into cycling 1ppm of ammonia 20 ppm nitrate but no nitrite, I dose a drop of aquaforest bio s everynight

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can cycle your tank easily using those approximations above, exact measures not required. chemists would say those measures are proof of nitrites, not nitrates, due to age of tank and the ways initial nitrate test kits misread on cycling tanks.

means that don't factor your test kits exist, they're better means to cycle by

post a tank pic, from that we are verifying surface area and attachment points

couple other steps and the exact date you can begin will follow

time underwater for the system five days, that factors into upcoming ready date

need pics

the way we can cycle your tank independent from the test approximations above is by tracking other setups like yours, using digital ammonia measures. we develop completion patterns from those and by using well-tested cycling charts that show # of days underwater corresponding with key cycling parameters.

once we see pics of the tank to discern filter ratios, we already know # of days towards ammonia completion timeline, and we can factor the boosts you've added/feed and bottle bac along with pics. from that, a clear start date will be easy to name even if you never test again.

begin researching disease controls in the fish you will add, the cycle part is about to be good and ready. if you add unprepared fish from a pet store, expect high initial loss rates of fish having nothing to do with cycling.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using ocean water, or ro di made synthetic saltwater (this factors into time booster assessments)

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the nitrogen cycle, you get ammonia converted to nitrite by one group of bacteria and nitrite converted to nitrate by another group of bacteria. When I cycled, I only saw some nitrite briefly. In order to have nitrate, you have to have had nitrite. The reason you don’t see nitrite is that it is converted to nitrate as fast as it is formed.

OP
OP
O

Opticat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using ocean water, or ro di made synthetic saltwater (this factors into time booster assessments)
I used ro di made synthetic saltwater, and heres the pic, it's a 20 gallon aio tank, also used caribsea live sand, started the cycle 5 days ago, used shrimp as ammonia source removed it when the ammonia reached 2ppm

Attachments

• received_1174561719705241.jpeg
    received_1174561719705241.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 49

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the directions bottle of aqua forest, does it say one drop per night or does it have you add a certain volume of the product all at once can you relay the bottle directions to us. I haven’t used it before so need to know volumes they recommend

Last edited:

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fine. It’s different bacteria that converts ammonia be the one they converts nitrite. One develops faster than the other. The ammonia will be gone soon. Probably before you get a zero ammonia test. False readings are very very common when cycling.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there instances where Api showed .25 in years old reefs?

It’s important to know in case his ammonia test isn’t the few that go to zero…we need other cycle timing option in case he’s got the more popular kind of kit we see on searches. At other times people have dosed prime / false positive and not stated it in the info

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Opticat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the directions bottle of aqua forest, does it say one drop per night or does it have you add a certain volume of the product all at once can you relay the bottle directions to us. I haven’t used it before so need to know volumes they recommend
It said 1 drop per 27 gallons everyday for the first two weeks of a new tank

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading about that aqua forest product it is a probiotic bacteria. Designed to accelerate decomposition of organic matter. Maybe they are doing their jobs and decaying organics in the sand. Also did it go from 2 to 1ppm? Or did it go from 2ppm to zero back to 1ppm?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone know the reason why I'm not getting nitrite? 5 days into cycling 1ppm of ammonia 20 ppm nitrate but no nitrite, I dose a drop of aquaforest bio s everynight
Dont worry about nitrite- Only in Freshwater

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a neat cycle as you’re using bacteria fairly rare here, most our cycles are Dr. Tims, biospira or Fritz. nice to have a new strain for once.

Your timing is still new it’s not like we are day 25 still stuck but close to day ~15 you’re in line with most other questionable dose cycles, you can expect to be ready on or about that maximum date as a common cycling chart shows that as an ammonia drop date.

Dr Z mentioned waste-digesting strains, indeed that may be the case and they’re often able to run dual duty as cycling bacteria as well. MB7 is a common dual-duty bac

agreed fully they may work slower than cycle-specific strains, agreed. More sales if aqua forest can claim dual use (cleaning a tank and cycling) per bottle.

*chemistry forum testing showed digesting bac strains such as waste away to be largely unhelpful in aquaria, they didn’t reduce detritus in Tarichas careful tests logged there. Whether they’re good at cycling, who knows- need seneye to know in my opinion.

it would take precision seneye testing to know which date sooner you’re ready if any.

Here’s why I specially narrowed down on day fifteen vs any random pickable date:

1. Meets the ammonia drop date from all cycling charts. A well-tested action date across bottled cycles. Remove shrimp and do full water change on day fifteen, its ready and surfaces will retain the filter bacteria. We test these daily and gain valuable pattern feedback, I don’t recall any fails on this date (fifteen days of submersion after feeding and adding a bottle bac)

Not one bad start among thousands of participated cycles by day fifteen. Day fifteen is slow in bottle bac terms; true cycling strains will carry bioload immediately when added to the tank, just find any fish-in cycle ran on seneye to see, there are a few out there.

2. here is a worst case scenario timing you can track for date claims. This is a 30 day cycle, but it’s feed only. NO bottle bac at all, environmental free bacteria when simply fed will fully cycle in 30 days. Even if your bottle bac was zero helpful for cycling, thirty days is the max time it would take anyway as you’ve fed the system.

cutting the time to 15 days here is prudent because there’s no reason to think your bac don’t assist at all in cycling, they’re just not Fritz or biospira fast possibly. The reason we only focused on ammonia and not any other param is because thats how I’ve been cycling other people’s reefs for a while now, it’s two less mistesting params to worry about. of the three cycling params, ammonia is the one that burns so it’s what we solve for in start date assessment.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you measure nitrite and nitrate?

OP
OP
O

Opticat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wen
Reading about that aqua forest product it is a probiotic bacteria. Designed to accelerate decomposition of organic matter. Maybe they are doing their jobs and decaying organics in the sand. Also did it go from 2 to 1ppm? Or did it go from 2ppm to zero back to 1ppm?
Went from 2->1-> then .25, now for 4, days still 0 nitrite

TjB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having this same issue right now. Ammonia is at 1.0 ppm havnt seen any nitrite levels yet, but tested nitrate levels today and they're at 5.0 ppm.

Its been 6 days today (December 8th 2021)

OP
OP
O

Opticat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having this same issue right now. Ammonia is at 1.0 ppm havnt seen any nitrite levels yet, but tested nitrate levels today and they're at 5.0 ppm.

Its been 6 days today (December 8th 2021)
You should just wait it out until ammonia is zero, never saw a nitrite spike during my cycling process

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back