No one carry MH fixture anymore?

LAX Noob Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I notice the only MH some might carry is Reef Brite. No one carry others anymore? is it entirely discontinued, or just cost too much to sell in US/NA?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think Hamilton's out of the game.
Maybe direct from Germany for Geisseman .
$1300 euros 2@250. 1200 mm
Harsh...
Screenshot_20230530-153014.png

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think Hamilton's out of the game.
Maybe direct from Germany for Geisseman .
$1300 euros 2@250. 1200 mm
Harsh...
Screenshot_20230530-153014.png

Sure enough. Hamilton’s website is like a ghost town. There’s hardly even anything up anymore.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice the only MH some might carry is Reef Brite. No one carry others anymore? is it entirely discontinued, or just cost too much to sell in US/NA?
Get one of the Gisemann fixtures while you can! Just email them!
Hamilton sells only bulbs.
ReefBite still sells their fixtures, bulbs and ballasts.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Get one of the Gisemann fixtures while you can! Just email them!
Hamilton sells only bulbs.
ReefBite still sells their fixtures, bulbs and ballasts.

Hamilton isn't going to have anymore MH bulbs. I knew that when I purchased their last remaining bulbs. Yes, I was told they would be fully restocked by March 2023, but I knew that was just sales talk.

Hopefully there will be another avenue for purchasing bulbs.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hamilton isn't going to have anymore MH bulbs. I knew that when I purchased their last remaining bulbs. Yes, I was told they would be fully restocked by March 2023, but I knew that was just sales talk.

There’s so much uncertainty.

I agree . Hopefully there will be someone to capitalize on this hobby demand at least

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There’s so much uncertainty.

I agree . Hopefully there will be someone to capitalize on this hobby demand at least
We are living in a world of uncertainties! That's for sure!
It's not like in the 70's or 80's, or even during the 90's and early 2000's, when we knew that most stores and business would most likely be there years to come.
The business arena has changed a lot with the online influence and the weight of big stores. The bad news is that those big stores are making a huge influence on the market in a short term. Even the big stores aren't guarantee to stay in business and the focus is the money in the short term!
Hamilton is in business for a long time and is still surviving. There is a heavy pressure on halides right now! The LED market is doing everything to eliminate the halides and T5s from the site. Metal halide manufacturers are giving up too early with the circle of possible new laws coming soon for the EU IMO.
I had some time to communicate with Hamilton today. The bulbs will be available again. They are in production and the time frame to be available is about 6 weeks from now.
They are selling metal halides like they didn't in a long time, and I would think that is not only for public aquariums!
We need to understand that even though they need to keep up with their stock, they also see that the consumption isn't exactly like before in terms of percentage. The percentage of hobbyists that are going back or try halides is still relatively very low in the big picture with the majority adopting LEDs. It's because LEDs are already the only alternative new hobbyists are thought.
I think there is a great possibility for the percentage of halide users to keep growing in this, but only time will tell us what's going to happen.
Each day that goes by the LED propaganda gets stronger and stronger.
There is no equal rights in terms of choices! That's for sure. And I'm talking about the way the fake news and rumors run in regards to the quality and efficiency of metal halides.
I'm pretty sure the discontinued bulbs will affect even more the market and halides most likely will be a luxurious thing for many of us pretty soon, unless new companies grab the torch and start the production of fixtures and decent quality ballasts! We just need some competition for ReefBrite. That is the boost we need right now.
Nothing is impossible, but very unlikely, unfortunately.

But yeah... they said in at least 6 weeks the bulbs will be available.
That last batch of Radiums will also be available from Hamilton!
And yeah... I do NOT work for Hamilton! LOL!

Last edited:

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
We are living in a world of uncertainties! That's for sure!
It's not like in the 70's or 80's, or even during the 90's and early 2000's, when we knew that most stores and business would most likely be there years to come.
The business arena has changed a lot with the online influence and the weight of big stores. The bad news is that those big stores are making a huge influence on the market in a short term. Even the big stores aren't guarantee to stay in business and the focus is the money in the short term!
Hamilton is in business for a long time and is still surviving. There is a heavy pressure on halides right now! The LED market is doing everything to eliminate the halides and T5s from the site. Metal halide manufacturers are giving up too early with the circle of possible new laws coming soon for the EU IMO.
I had some time to communicate with Hamilton today. The bulbs will be available again. They are in production and the time frame to be available is about 6 weeks from now.
They are selling metal halides like they didn't in a long time, and I would think that is not only for public aquariums!
We need to understand that even though they need to keep up with their stock, they also see that the consumption isn't exactly like before in terms of percentage. The percentage of hobbyists that are going back or try halides is still relatively very low in the big picture with the majority adopting LEDs. It's because LEDs are already the only alternative new hobbyists are thought.
I think there is a great possibility for the percentage of halide users to keep growing in this, but only time will tell us what's going to happen.
Each day that goes by the LED propaganda gets stronger and stronger.
There is no equal rights in terms of choices! That's for sure. And I'm talking about the way the fake news and rumors run in regards to the quality and efficiency of metal halides.
I'm pretty sure the discontinued bulbs will affect even more the market and halides most likely will be a luxurious thing for many of us pretty soon, unless new companies grab the torch and start the production of fixtures and decent quality ballasts! We just need some competition for ReefBrite. That is the boost we need right now.
Nothing is impossible, but very unlikely, unfortunately.

But yeah... they said in at least 6 weeks the bulbs will be available.
That last batch of Radiums will also be available from Hamilton!
And yeah... I do NOT work for Hamilton! LOL!
Wow thanks for the update! I might grab more bulk when this batch comes out . I don’t foresee going back to led anytime soon with my results

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the following stockpiled:

1 Hamilton 24 inch 6 bulb T5 fixture with all bulbs new in the box.

2 Hamilton Cayman Sun 250w DE MH fixtures new in box.

1 Reef Brite 36" dual 250w DE fixture (in use now with 2 RB electronic ballasts).

20 Hamilton 14k 250w DE MH bulbs new in boxes.

10 Hamilton 20k 250w DE MH bulbs new in boxes.

Not a lot, but better than nothing. I've thought about switching my Reef Brite fixture for the two Cayman Sun fixtures, but the Reef Brite is working very well with my 2 36 inch LEDs on each side so I'll leave it.

Honestly, as long as the bulbs and ballasts are available, the fixtures and reflectors are super easy to replicate. You could make those yourself. We just need a steady supply of bulbs and ballasts.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There supposedly some things in the works, but nothing is done. I have heard that orders are made. It will only be for the most popular stuff -consolidating product lines.

Who knows if it will ever happen.

I believe these folks and while I have dozens of fixtures for 24 to 72 inches, bulbs scared me a bit, so I bought 8 years worth in the last few weeks - double ended is in even less supply right now.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the following stockpiled:

1 Hamilton 24 inch 6 bulb T5 fixture with all bulbs new in the box.

2 Hamilton Cayman Sun 250w DE MH fixtures new in box.

1 Reef Brite 36" dual 250w DE fixture (in use now with 2 RB electronic ballasts).

20 Hamilton 14k 250w DE MH bulbs new in boxes.

10 Hamilton 20k 250w DE MH bulbs new in boxes.

Not a lot, but better than nothing. I've thought about switching my Reef Brite fixture for the two Cayman Sun fixtures, but the Reef Brite is working very well with my 2 36 inch LEDs on each side so I'll leave it.

Honestly, as long as the bulbs and ballasts are available, the fixtures and reflectors are super easy to replicate. You could make those yourself. We just need a steady supply of bulbs and ballasts.
I hope this post quoted above shows how much metal halides are still important for some of us in this hobby and for also for coral farms and public aquariums!
Halide users take their choice of lighting very seriously!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CMH is what everyone should be looking at if you want MH CMH is even Better.

They don't sell the right " color".... but other than that, yea.

Never say never but I don't think a "20000K" bulb is around the corner.

Please ignore the disinformation of 90-ish " daylight" cri at 3000-4000k.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There supposedly some things in the works, but nothing is done. I have heard that orders are made. It will only be for the most popular stuff -consolidating product lines.

Who knows if it will ever happen.

I believe these folks and while I have dozens of fixtures for 24 to 72 inches, bulbs scared me a bit, so I bought 8 years worth in the last few weeks - double ended is in even less supply right now.
Is Phoenix totally out of the game now?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back