No Quarantine Tank option

Rajat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,
I don't have the option of setting up a Quarantine tank , I would have done it if any possibility .
I need help , if in case I notice any ich or velvet in my display tank can I dose medicine in my display tank ?
I do not have any corals or invertebrates in my display tank it is a fowlr set up .
Please help , thanks in advance

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much you can do. I’m dealing with Ich for the past few weeks. I bought all my fish from divers den and paid a higher price. Still got ich.

I’m treating with a natural product but most will say the Ich will never be out of my tank now.

OP
OP
Rajat

Rajat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will permanently stay in tank ? I think there is a time period you can keep your DT fishless to remove ich completely 60-72 days may be
Not much you can do. I’m dealing with Ich for the past few weeks. I bought all my fish from divers den and paid a higher price. Still got ich.

I’m treating with a natural product but most will say the Ich will never be out of my tank now.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,
I don't have the option of setting up a Quarantine tank , I would have done it if any possibility .
I need help , if in case I notice any ich or velvet in my display tank can I dose medicine in my display tank ?
I do not have any corals or invertebrates in my display tank it is a fowlr set up .
Please help , thanks in advance

While it is not recommended you can treat a FOWLR with copper if need be. You just will never want to use the rock in a tank with coral as it can leach the copper it absorbs back out over time.

OP
OP
Rajat

Rajat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem paragard instead of copper ? Will it leach too , ofcourse I won't discard all the rocks , corals may be added after 10 months at least no rush on it
While it is not recommended you can treat a FOWLR with copper if need be. You just will never want to use the rock in a tank with coral as it can leach the copper it absorbs back out over time.

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paraguard won't eliminate ich or velvet. Plus it will stain everything blue, including silicone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rajat

Rajat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about hyposalinity since it's a Fowlr set up , does it work for ich and velvet

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I’m not sure about velvet. However with ich, I don’t see why you couldn’t use hypo salinity on you tank if you don’t have corals.

OP
OP
Rajat

Rajat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joe ,
Thanks
Can you guide how to execute hyposalinity .
Fyi , I have no fishes with this condition , I just want to know about since in two days I will be buying new fishes for my new cycled 65 gallon .
Do you advise going for hyposalinity from introducing fish or try only if symptoms of ich brooknelya or velvet .
I read it treats all 3
Thanks in advance
1d72c69556beb1a4ca1c86e066ee2942.jpg

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a friendly warning, but I would strongly advise you to reevaluate whether you can afford to not quarantine. I've purchased a couple dozen fish now, both locally and from LA and DD, and more than half have come in diseased. I've seen a lot of Velvet, Uronema and Gram negative bacterial infection s personally.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you must treat in your DT, I would remove rocks and sand and use your DT as a QT/observation tank for a few weeks. In the event you have to treat with copper for ich or velvet, it will be virtually impossible to maintain the therapeutic dose with rocks/sand and you run the risk of toxicity. For something like brooklynella you would have to do 100% water changes after each acriflavine/formalin bath which may be impractical in a large system.

Overall, may be worthwhile getting a cheap 10-20g tank or even a plastic trash can, just make sure the plastic is inert. Good luck!

OP
OP
Rajat

Rajat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rython ,
Thank you so much
I do understand QT is a must since nowadays fishes come with diseases more , however right now I cannot set up a QT and rather keep a Fowlr set up till I have completed my fish stock over a period of 6 months so no corals for at least 8-10 months .
Thanks for sharing the links
Just a friendly warning, but I would strongly advise you to reevaluate whether you can afford to not quarantine. I've purchased a couple dozen fish now, both locally and from LA and DD, and more than half have come in diseased. I've seen a lot of Velvet, Uronema and Gram negative bacterial infection s personally.

OP
OP
Rajat

Rajat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea on the trash can I have two 100 ltrs container which may be used but will airstone suffice ?
If you must treat in your DT, I would remove rocks and sand and use your DT as a QT/observation tank for a few weeks. In the event you have to treat with copper for ich or velvet, it will be virtually impossible to maintain the therapeutic dose with rocks/sand and you run the risk of toxicity. For something like brooklynella you would have to do 100% water changes after each acriflavine/formalin bath which may be impractical in a large system.

Overall, may be worthwhile getting a cheap 10-20g tank or even a plastic trash can, just make sure the plastic is inert. Good luck!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea on the trash can I have two 100 ltrs container which may be used but will airstone suffice ?

A single airstone on 100L probably won't be enough. You may get away with multiple or preferably use a pump/wavemaker. More water movement/aeration is always better during treatment as O2 generally drops as a result of various medications.

OP
OP
Rajat

Rajat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I do have a spare powerhead
I also think may be dropping a sponge filter would be required for beneficial bacteria , correct me if I am wrong

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all you need for a qt is a 10-20 gallon tank , HOB filter and a powerhead. They are very cheap to do and with what fish cost it just makes sense. Just think about if you have $500 -$1000 in fish in your DT and that last $30 fish you had wipes them all out

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on how many fish you're getting. I've kept two fish in a $10 petco 10g tank with just an air stone before, but without a power filter with media seeded with biospira or something, ammonia becomes the issue . I did 100% water changes every 3 days to compensate (tank transfer method).

OP
OP
Rajat

Rajat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Bob ,
I definitely agree with you .
I may just add two clownfish and no other fishes till I get a QT set up for any other addition .
Will a 20 gallon QT work for a fish that requires 100 gallon DT
all you need for a qt is a 10-20 gallon tank , HOB filter and a powerhead. They are very cheap to do and with what fish cost it just makes sense. Just think about if you have $500 -$1000 in fish in your DT and that last $30 fish you had wipes them all out

Back