No RO/DI in Europe?

EuroDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef Friends,

As I have been working on my build plan and budget I have discovered that RO/DI systems are not sold in Europe. From my LFS to online sites there are lots of RO systems, but no RO/DI. When I do find them, they are very expensive imports from the US.

I looked into some water standards and found that in Germany (where I am), they are not allowed to use Chlorine or Chloramines in municipal water treatment. Most towns also do not add Florine. Mine town does not use floride.

Do you think a quality RO system sufficient for reefing use under these conditions?

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the US, water authorities are required to perform periodic testing of the water supply and provide those results to the public. When living in the city of Pittsburgh, PA, I used to get a water report once a year. Now I live in the suburbs (outside city limits) and have not seen such a report. I think the reports are available online or by request. I don't need a report to test my TDS which is about 200ppm from the city supply. After my RO stages, it drops to about 12 when running a batch of water (it creeps up to 30-40ppm when not being used). After the DI stage, it's down to 0.

Can you request a water report from the local water authority? Have you tested your incoming TDS? How is your water sanitized if not using a chlorine/chloramine product? A quick google search says Germany and Italy water is primarily sanitized with ozone and chlorine dioxide but chlorine is used as a secondary process. https://www.lenntech.com/processes/... use ozone,is added for residual disinfection.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
EuroDan

EuroDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vy-Air are in England but I guess they post to Europe.
I looked at the Vy-Air systems and reading the technical descriptions and they do not DI filtration. The
VYAIR RO-400 5-Stage is a good example. High volume RO, no DI.

Double checked o on the Vy-Air website and there are a couple with DI in the dental section. Sadly only 50GPD.

Thanks for pushing me to check again.

Last edited:

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef Friends,

As I have been working on my build plan and budget I have discovered that RO/DI systems are not sold in Europe. From my LFS to online sites there are lots of RO systems, but no RO/DI. When I do find them, they are very expensive imports from the US.

I looked into some water standards and found that in Germany (where I am), they are not allowed to use Chlorine or Chloramines in municipal water treatment. Most towns also do not add Florine. Mine town does not use floride.

Do you think a quality RO system sufficient for reefing use under these conditions?

I live in France and definitely can find RODI systems, are you sure there aren’t in Germany?
I would still use one even though we have decent water, never had an algae outbreak and I’ve been lazy with my filters.

if you really need it I could help you order one here and reship it to you, it would cost you the extra postage but still.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the Vy-Air systems and reading the technical descriptions and they do not DI filtration. The
VYAIR RO-400 5-Stage is a good example. High volume RO, no DI.

Double checked o on the Vy-Air website and there are a couple with DI in the dental section. Sadly only 50GPD.

Thanks for pushing me to check again.

If you get stuck give them a call, very helpful, maybe they can do custom.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to buy RO and DI all in one. You can buy a reverse osmosis filter and add dionizing resin stages. I would be very surprised if there are no deionizing resins sold to consumers in the entire continent of Europe.

Chlorine, chloramines and flouride are not the the only reason we use water filters in the aquarium hobby. There are many other contaminants that RO filters remove. See Randy's article on the topic for a full summary. Some of these contaminants can only be removed by DI resins. If you plan on having corals, I would strongly consider using deionizing resins.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back