No room for a frag tank? PUT IT IN YOUR SUMP!

How many of you have or have had a frag area inside your sump?

• I have one now inside my sump

Votes: 34 11.8%
  • I have in the past

Votes: 38 13.1%
  • I haven't tried it but would like to try it

Votes: 172 59.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 45 15.6%

• Total voters

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people like the idea of having a frag tank or separate area where they can grow out frags but lack the space to be able to set up a frag tank. Good news is that if you have some space in your sump or under you then you have space for frags! Even if it's a small space to host frags it's better than having to have a frag rack inside your display tank. So let's talk about it today!

1. How many of you have or have had a frag area inside your sump?

2. What should people consider when deciding whether or not to add a frag section to the sump?

image via @aquaticlog
snapshot.jpg
I do not have mine in the sump, I have it in the DT. I use the Purple Large Shelf from Bulk Reef Supply (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/purple-large-shelf-magnetic-frag-rack-reef-rax.html) and place them in the back of my tank in hi flow areas. They blend right in and the hi flow area makes sure they're feed and helps them propagate around my tank.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No room. I want to start a bigger tank though and have been thinking of ways to start with frag tank or maybe frag sump and then plumb into a bigger display later.

BillyW

FOWLR while out on the island of Oahu!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is crazy I came across this. I only have a 21 gallon tank because I’m in the army and have to move a lot. I just took my Kalk reactor offline because we moved and for whatever reason my PH hits 8.4 whereas before it would barely hit 7.95. I was thinking of taking the live rock from my sump and putting it in that reactor with medium flow through that, and using my extra pmup to pump water through that from the sump and back into the sump, so I could make a small frag spot in my sump.
I can’t find much on filling a reactor with live rock. Would this work or am I not that smart? I might take some out anyways because my nitrates and phosphates keep bottom out and I overfeed like crazy.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag tank in sump means another light and possibly another pump which all adds heat.

Also, like an ATO, never run your RO line into the sump. A separate reservoir with a limited capacity avoids too much dilution. A frag tank is redundancy in times of crisis. If you have the frags tied to the display and there is a problem, then you have no backup to reseed your display.
Outstanding point being made. Another idea i never contemplated!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back