No room for a frag tank? PUT IT IN YOUR SUMP!

How many of you have or have had a frag area inside your sump?

• I have one now inside my sump

Votes: 34 11.8%
  • I have in the past

Votes: 38 13.1%
  • I haven't tried it but would like to try it

Votes: 172 59.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 45 15.6%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. How many of you have or have had a frag area inside your sump?
Have not.
2. What should people consider when deciding whether or not to add a frag section to the sump?
The rationale (I don't get it, unless one is planning to sell frags commercially, as compared to a temporary 'spot'). It is my opinion that for long-term 'better growth' - that only corals of the same type should be near each other. My guess would be that (looking at some of the truthfully impressive) the corals will not grow significantly better than if they were glued to the rock from the start. Then there is the difficulty of maintaining the other equipment (which would be impossible in my sump.

I would consider it IF - it was well planned, part of perhaps a new build - or sump revision.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other. When i was setting up someone gave me some coral. I was not sure where i wanted them to go so i put them in the sump where there was plenty of light and flow. they were in the 'fuge section but there was no frag area per se.
I also put some into the QT since there was nothing else in there. lost two pieces but the rest graduated to the display.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't most reefer use a sump with a strong grow light to grow algae so it grows there and not in the display?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't most reefer use a sump with a strong grow light to grow algae so it grows there and not in the display?
A reefugium, yes. And the algae grown in their is beneficial algae, that absorbed nitrates and phosphates, so that there is no algae in the display tank.

But what does this have to do with an in-sump frag tank?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, but I also like quarantining frags. We're still having trouble with keeping zoas in the 20 gallon and I'm suspecting there are still more sea spiders lurking. The mushrooms are flourishing, though!

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t have room for frag tank either, but want to grow out shrooms and frag. Hopefully make some swaps and money for salt and media.
6BC5145D-719B-4145-AA5C-E413A14EAB45.jpeg

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people like the idea of having a frag tank or separate area where they can grow out frags but lack the space to be able to set up a frag tank. Good news is that if you have some space in your sump or under you then you have space for frags! Even if it's a small space to host frags it's better than having to have a frag rack inside your display tank. So let's talk about it today!

2. What should people consider when deciding whether or not to add a frag section to the sump?

image via @aquaticlog
snapshot.jpg
That would be nice but what happens if you do not have a sump? I have a 125 gallon and have no room for a sump due to how the tank is set up and where it is sitting and I am not moving it LOL. It is a great idea though!

JKBrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't want the coralline algae in the sump. Also, the sump is under the tank and I don't like working on my knees. Just too old for much of that.
My peristaltic pump for water changes has three heads, I pump from the new water tank to the display, the display to the frag tank, and the frag tank to the drain twice a day. This frag tank, like many in the hobby, started as a QT. That's why there are elbows with magnets on the back wall.

Attachments

• QT-Frag.jpg
    QT-Frag.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 109

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont like growing frags out. Not that good w the old blue thumb you might say. I prefer a colony, even if its a small one( but bigger than frag) to place I DT and grow out that

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was semi new to the hobby, in the 90s, I had a section in my 20g sump that I would grow Xenia in and they grew amazing with just a cfl bulb. Used to trade piece to the LFS for supplies ECT. Does that count ;)

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy with the ones in the DT only—the ones I see when I’m in the room.

Fishboy-1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people like the idea of having a frag tank or separate area where they can grow out frags but lack the space to be able to set up a frag tank. Good news is that if you have some space in your sump or under you then you have space for frags! Even if it's a small space to host frags it's better than having to have a frag rack inside your display tank. So let's talk about it today!

image via @aquaticlog
snapshot.jpg
The PRO CLEAR brand sumps have a separate section for frags, it comes with the frag tray which I thought was cool. I have 2 , 4 ft on my 600 gallon reef.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat related to this topic -- does anyone have a suggestion for a magnetic frag rack that can handle 3/4" glass? I don't have it thick in my sump, but if I want to move it to my display...

pufferlips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have a dedicated frag tank... a simple glass box I am DIYing myself. Since I will be doing auto water changes... I will be taking 5 gallons a day from my display tank and moving it to the frag... I'll have a separate dosing pump remove water from the frag tank to the drain. Inside the frag will be a MP 10. That way it will have the same parameters as the display tank an no dosing needing for the frag. once things are ready to move, i just move it. Done this in the past with a QT system for Fish... was a bit more manual back in the day but it worked well... kept up on the maintenance of the display tank and kept up on the quality of life support i was providing to the QT system.

Once I start my build.. I will start adding some pictures and diagrams.

Last edited:

akleasure

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat related to this topic -- does anyone have a suggestion for a magnetic frag rack that can handle 3/4" glass? I don't have it thick in my sump, but if I want to move it to my display...
Zen Reef makes great stuff. It's on the pricier side, but it's beautiful and will work on glass thicker than 1" if you get the extra strength magnets.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have too much algae in the sump. Maybe I'll try removing it and then put the frags in it. out of sight is better until mounted!

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had enough space in my sump to use some of it for Frags, I usually stuck them to the side of my overflow on a rack, or behind my rocks or something.

Now I'm lucky enough to have a fish room so I'm working on the stand for a frag tank.

Whiskey

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back