No such thing as too much light..... or is there.. Holy Cow what was I thinking!

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hello reef2reef, let me lay out the scene for you. We are getting ready for a the #reefcurrents and #texasfragfest. we are putting the final touches on our frag display tank everying is going good and we are getting a total of 3 tanks ready to go with 2 lights each. but then... keep in mind this is a 36x24x6 tank for frag swaps...
This is where things go sideways.......

We start to discuss is such a thing as there to much light.....

So what do we do instead of just letting it die and continue our work we decide so make the Radian Full spectrum ARK.
Patient pending

I know what your thinking, what a wonderful idea. right?

Have you ever done something like this? if so I wanna see it

So now here is my question for you.

Do you love it?

Do you Hate it?

Are you jealous?

What might you change?
Riptide-8924-2.jpg

#RiptideAquaculture #ledpower #radion #allthelight #reeferlife #Reef2Reef #badidea #vote #polls

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reef, let me lay out the scene for you. We are getting ready for a the #reefcurrents and #texasfragfest. we are putting the final touches on our frag display tank everying is going good and we are getting a total of 3 tanks ready to go with 2 lights each. but then... keep in mind this is a 36x24x6 tank for frag swaps...
This is where things go sideways.......

We start to discuss is such a thing as there to much light.....

So what do we do instead of just letting it die and continue our work we decide so make the Radian Full spectrum ARK.
Patient pending

I know what your thinking, what a wonderful idea. right?

Have you ever done something like this? if so I wanna see it

So now here is my question for you.

Do you love it?

Do you Hate it?

Are you jealous?

What might you change?
Riptide-8924-2.jpg

#RiptideAquaculture #ledpower #radion #allthelight #reeferlife #Reef2Reef #badidea #vote #polls
Where is the Texas frag fest held?

Upvote 0

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remember seeing prototypes of lights doing this years ago. Not sure what came of any of them but since none are on the market, I assume they didn't pan out for some reason.

When the SKY logo was first introduced and had that curve above, I figured that was the innovation Neptune had in mind. Sadly, that wasn't the case

Upvote 0

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Looks nice, but not really worth it. I am sure you know there is a thing of too much light, par/pur wise. Also with the advancement in led the power and availability of lenses can help disperse the light.

There is the shadowing and spotting issue. I would drop the 2nd and 4th if you are going for functional. For cool look, keep 5. Use the arms to adjust height and angles. Use the LED’s to adjust power and lens. Grab a meter and will prob get same results.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I remember seeing prototypes of lights doing this years ago. Not sure what came of any of them but since none are on the market, I assume they didn't pan out for some reason.

When the SKY logo was first introduced and had that curve above, I figured that was the innovation Neptune had in mind. Sadly, that wasn't the case
Yeah I’ve seen the same thing. These are just radions with so tilt to them. The weird thing is that it really doesn’t seem that much brighter the spread is very even but it doesn’t look more intense to the bake eye.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Evening,

Looks nice, but not really worth it. I am sure you know there is a thing of too much light, par/pur wise. Also with the advancement in led the power and availability of lenses can help disperse the light.

There is the shadowing and spotting issue. I would drop the 2nd and 4th if you are going for functional. For cool look, keep 5. Use the arms to adjust height and angles. Use the LED’s to adjust power and lens. Grab a meter and will prob get same results.
I couldn’t agree more. I’d say 2 XR-15 are plenty for this size that for a short period.
I think if I was trying to grow corals in this set up I would one use one. The water depth is far to shallow to have this may lights. I wish I could check the par for ***** and giggles.

Upvote 0

BryanJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t hate it but I’m not a fan. I started in this hobby with pc lighting and I don’t need to explain that mistake. So I went to 250w MH next and I noticed everything on the bottom was doing great the top not so much. So I went to 175w MH and I started having some more success. Meanwhile I had a cheap 6x54 T5 fixture over my 75 and my corals were out growing the main display tank so I decided to change it up again. When I moved I went 6x54 over my new display tank And hybrid t5 / LED lighting over my smaller tank. I have only had this up and running for 6 months but as of right now I have to give the nod to the hybrid setup. So in summary yes I definitely think to much light is possible.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I don’t hate it but I’m not a fan. I started in this hobby with pc lighting and I don’t need to explain that mistake. So I went to 250w MH next and I noticed everything on the bottom was doing great the top not so much. So I went to 175w MH and I started having some more success. Meanwhile I had a cheap 6x54 T5 fixture over my 75 and my corals were out growing the main display tank so I decided to change it up again. When I moved I went 6x54 over my new display tank And hybrid t5 / LED lighting over my smaller tank. I have only had this up and running for 6 months but as of right now I have to give the nod to the hybrid setup. So in summary yes I definitely think to much light is possible.
I couldn’t agree more. I think you hit the nail on the head. Did you find Have more success with metal halides or T5. I’ve herd that halides are amazing for growth

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back