No such thing as too much light..... or is there.. Holy Cow what was I thinking!

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hello reef2reef, let me lay out the scene for you. We are getting ready for a the #reefcurrents and #texasfragfest. we are putting the final touches on our frag display tank everying is going good and we are getting a total of 3 tanks ready to go with 2 lights each. but then... keep in mind this is a 36x24x6 tank for frag swaps...
This is where things go sideways.......

We start to discuss is such a thing as there to much light.....

So what do we do instead of just letting it die and continue our work we decide so make the Radian Full spectrum ARK.
Patient pending

I know what your thinking, what a wonderful idea. right?

Have you ever done something like this? if so I wanna see it

So now here is my question for you.

Do you love it?

Do you Hate it?

Are you jealous?

What might you change?
Riptide-8924-2.jpg

#RiptideAquaculture #ledpower #radion #allthelight #reeferlife #Reef2Reef #badidea #vote #polls

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a guy that fell into a very large inheritance put together a 500 gal cube ... where the lights were on ROTATION MOTORS that would pan a tilt over the tank to simulate dawn to dusk.

Looked straight out of some Robotics tech.

I begged to take pics while there just to buy a when a few frags.

A stern NO! was the answer.

He said I was lucky to even see the tank in person bc he didn't want reefers knowing he had a SIX-FIGURE setup....

He said he was afraid of being ambushed and robbed when he wasn't home by some redneck reefers. Lucky for me I'm clean-cut and a business professional that made the grade with him

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've seen a guy that fell into a very large inheritance put together a 500 gal cube ... where the lights were on ROTATION MOTORS that would pan a tilt over the tank to simulate dawn to dusk.

Looked straight out of some Robotics tech.

I begged to take pics while there just to buy a when a few frags.

A stern NO! was the answer.

He said I was lucky to even see the tank in person bc he didn't want reefers knowing he had a SIX-FIGURE setup....

He said he was afraid of being ambushed and robbed when he wasn't home by some redneck reefers. Lucky for me I'm clean-cut and a business professional that made the grade with him

Man I really wish I could have seen that! It sounds like something nothing else I’ve ever seen. Do you remember what kinda likes he was using?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
@RiptideAquaculture, you guys had some REALLY nice lords. Kinda wish I bought more than just one, but I kinda sorta had depleted my funds by the time I got around. I'll have to reserve some funds for ya'll next time :cool:
thanks bud! we are kind of addicted to them lol! its kinda bad.... we are already on the hunt for more rainbow acans! Follow Us so you know when we are gonna drop some more Fire!

Upvote 0

BryanJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t agree more. I think you hit the nail on the head. Did you find Have more success with metal halides or T5. I’ve herd that halides are amazing for growth
T5 for me has worked better than metal halides. I won't be going back to MH. My tank with the T5 and Kessil led supplement is starting to make me thinks that is the best combo but I think I just had a different type of flow in that tank and I read an article recently that made me make a change to flow under all T5 and now that tank has improved. So I am not willing to say which is best yet. although I have to give the kessils and those shimmer lines there props. I just wish they made a 160 tuna blue that looked a little bit more like the a360x

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
T5 for me has worked better than metal halides. I won't be going back to MH. My tank with the T5 and Kessil led supplement is starting to make me thinks that is the best combo but I think I just had a different type of flow in that tank and I read an article recently that made me make a change to flow under all T5 and now that tank has improved. So I am not willing to say which is best yet. although I have to give the kessils and those shimmer lines there props. I just wish they made a 160 tuna blue that looked a little bit more like the a360x
the age old debate of what light is better. my simple conclusion to that is every light has pros and cons and every reefer needs to determine what they want out of there reef so the can decide what fits best for them.

do you have a photo of your current light configuration?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Got a new addition for everyone! is there such a thing as too much light when it comes to photos!
we started using the #kessilA500 and holy moly this thing is a light cannon and a half

257276610_2246739228799908_2389087629015225715_n.jpg

Here are a few examples of way to much light and what it will do to your photos

Bazarro cyysttrea.jpg
Blastojamakinme crazy.jpg
holygrailhammer.jpg

Upvote 0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice photos, coral. To first post.

Yes, there is a thing called too much light. Several articles by Dana Riddle on this subject and most searches on DLI (daily light integral) will yield results. Is it pertinent to our glass or acrylic boxes of water it depends but it is something hobbyist should be aware of or have some basic understanding of.

As far as shifting of light ramping up, down, sunrise, or sunset to include movement this has also been done by some. Again is it key for our success, no. However some of us run schedules using parabola curves mixed in with our DLI numbers. Just depends on what the hobbyist has available or their interest.

Outside of that most probably keep it simple and have a on, off, and call it a day.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back