No SUMP? No problem! You don’t need it. What else do you not need?

Have you ever had a reef tank with no sump and how did it go?

• YES and it was just fine

Votes: 436 57.8%
  • YES but it was difficult

Votes: 138 18.3%
  • NO

Votes: 167 22.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ran my first reef tank without a sump for a long time and some of you may have as well. I also ran my first successful reef tank without a ton of gadgets and gear and had a pretty nice reef! Sumps are great because it gives you more water volume, conceals equipment and gives you more options but the fact is you don't have to have it. Today let's talk about stuff you don't have to have to keep a successful reef aquarium.

1. Have you ever had a reef tank with no sump and how did it go?

2. What other items, gear, equipment or gadgets do you NOT NEED to have a nice reef tank?

Sumpless reef tank image via @myzislow
zoanthids825-1.jpg

PeterC99

Living The Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many ways to have a successful aquarium!

My preference is always a sump - gives you many options on the setup and equipment, and can make the aquarium look less cluttered.

Hard to say whats not needed. Again my preference is not to use filter socks.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my first reef tank without a sump for a long time and some of you may have as well. I also ran my first successful reef tank without a ton of gadgets and gear and had a pretty nice reef! Sumps are great because it gives you more water volume, conceals equipment and gives you more options but the fact is you don't have to have it. Today let's talk about stuff you don't have to have to keep a successful reef aquarium.

2. What other items, gear, equipment or gadgets do you NOT NEED to have a nice reef tank?

Sumpless reef tank image via @myzislow
zoanthids825-1.jpg
Sump or no sump it does not get any better than that pic.
Very nice.
I had a nice sumpless 20 gallon back in the early 90's that was nice.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run a 20g with a hob. no sump, although having one would make things prettier. all you really need for a successful reef tank is some method of maintaining chemical stability, a form of nutrient export, a heater, flow, and decent lighting in my eyes. we live in an age where technology is advancing rapidly and it is no easier than ever before to find equipment and information to run a reef tank properly.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have, I just don't know if it was being sumpless that was a pain, or having a rimmed aquarium. Salt creep was always an issue with hob items. If those salt flakes get into the water and land on corals it leads to burns and melted flesh.
Having a rimless aquarium with a sump, reduces a lot of the salt creep.

What do you not need. All those expensive gadgets that I can't even keep track of. They are just convenience items and for people who want their water to never go out of slight increments.

This is all based on what someone wants to keep. Some soft and lps corals are less demanding on equipment to help keep them happy. You could even get away with some sps. You really don't NEED a lot of anything.
Just water flow, filtration, lighting, water changes. Proper test kits.

There are plenty of wonderful hang on back protein skimmers and filters. It's just so ugly to see all of it hanging off the aquarium. Hiding it all is so difficult.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unpopular opinion, but I think skimmers arent necessary. I've never tested any difference in nutrient levels when adding/removing a skimmer. Starting to believe a skimmers most important function is to control micro organisms in the water column, something which it's not very good at compared to a uv sterilizer.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO an AIO has a built in sump, so does not count as a no-sump tank.
You are wrong and right with that at the same time. I think covering up equipment (aka AIO) is not a sump as it has limited space but at the same time it has almost the same functionality. Mainly limitations of AIO equipment would make me to choose the next tank with a sump.

StellarLoving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is AIO considered no sump? Technically the back is a sump, but it's not a LEGIT sump lol?!
I like to think of my AIO back area as a sump. Holds heaters, Skimmy, UV and ATO.

But to each is own. Some may say no it's not a sump and some will agree with us on it's technically a sump in the end it doesn't matter as long as we all have success in our reefs.

Also Good Morning everyone!

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to think of my AIO back area as a sump. Holds heaters, Skimmy, UV and ATO.

But to each is own. Some may say no it's not a sump and some will agree with us on it's technically a sump in the end it doesn't matter as long as we all have success in our reefs.

Also Good Morning everyone!
I consider mine a sump too cuz I have macro algae reactor, carbon reactor, skimmer, heater, UV and ato. But ppl have diff opinions. No extra plumbing but same function

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back