No SUMP? No problem! You don’t need it. What else do you not need?

Have you ever had a reef tank with no sump and how did it go?

• YES and it was just fine

Votes: 437 57.9%
  • YES but it was difficult

Votes: 138 18.3%
  • NO

Votes: 167 22.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.7%

• Total voters

OG Reef Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my first reef tank without a sump for a long time and some of you may have as well. I also ran my first successful reef tank without a ton of gadgets and gear and had a pretty nice reef! Sumps are great because it gives you more water volume, conceals equipment and gives you more options but the fact is you don't have to have it. Today let's talk about stuff you don't have to have to keep a successful reef aquarium.

1. Have you ever had a reef tank with no sump and how did it go?

2. What other items, gear, equipment or gadgets do you NOT NEED to have a nice reef tank?

Sumpless reef tank image via @myzislow
zoanthids825-1.jpg
I have only ran sumpless reef tanks and I have run my 125 gallon for almost 6 years now. My new 29 gallon is also sumpless and has higher end corals in it and is doing very well. I believe the things you must have equipment wise is a HOB skimmer, decent lights, good flow/powerheads, heater, and a HOB filter for media and poly. I did add a two part doser eventually as I got tired of dosing every day, but it is not required.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first reef tanks were sump less. Now I only run tanks with sumps. It’s like graduating to the big leagues when going from sump less to a sump.

Payedjay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rather have a sump and all the necessary equipment especially when you have a expensive corals rather be safe then sorry fish only and non expensive corals would be ideal but when u have a lot at risk better to have all the right equipment and a sump for better filtration

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
personally prefer the sump because i can hide more stuff down there which opens up a bit of room in the DT

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean..... if you have a year long membership to a great public aquarium, you really don't need anything in your house.

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Sort of (technically it was an AIO), but it absolutely, positively sucked. I would’ve preferred a HOB option any day of the week. Now that I have a larger tank (and separate sump), I’d never go back.
2. I need all my gadgets! :D

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210905_124938701.jpg

40 gallon
5 Years no sump. Just a aquaclear hob. No controller. No skimmer Just heater controller and jebao pump.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AIO and it works just fine filtration wise. I think the biggest downside is lack of room for equipment storage. The biggest benefit is that they can fit on desks and other small spaces

moncheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a 75 gallon tank with two HOB's and its working out awesome. And no refugium either. I test once a week with little to no issues at this point so far. Keeping my fingers crossed. Lol
Do you mind share what are your equipments ex. Which two HOB you are using ? I just got a new 75 tank and planing to go sumpless as well

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind share what are your equipments ex. Which two HOB you are using ? I just got a new 75 tank and planing to go sumpless as well
You weren’t asking me, but also look at Tunze Comline filter and Tunze Comline doc skimmer. Both go inside the tank, they’re black and hardly visible.

That’s what I have on my 75 gallons.

NowasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always have sumpless tanks over the past 20 years. Currently running a 75, 75 hex and 55 gal.
The 75 has a Reef Octo HOB skimmer and the other two have Aquamaxx 1.5 skimmer. Also run a HOM filter in each for filtering and media. ATO makes life easier and a lot of flow, but other than that keeping hands out of the tanks makes the most difference. the 75 is 5yr, 55 is 3yr and 75 hex is 1 yr. The 75 is a true mix from softies to SPS. The 55 is almost all softies and zoas. The 75 Hex was started as a FOWLR but I have been throwing xenia and kenya tree, and toadstools in to help with some nutrient export and the valentini puffer and pearlscale butterfly seem to leave them alone.
I started using a plenum (if anyone know what that is anymore) over 20yrs ago. I personally don't like climbing on the floor to work in a sump.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120G tank has NO SUMP, NO SKIMMER, NO UV.
I have a Tydal HOB filter, 2 small heaters on each end of tank, 2 LED lights which rest on the top cover and a 3G HOB refugium with separate LED, too small for anything but growing pods. I do have tons of live rocks.
My only regret is that I have a jungle created by electric cords and I would like to hide them. That is probably the only reason I some times wish for a AIO or a sump to hide the equipment. I really do not think the sump etc. are necessary to have a healthy tank, for me the only advantage of a sump would be for the look.

Townsaquaria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good question with how much techy equipment is pushed on hobbyists these days. We should look back in time to see what your average hobbyist did. I started in the hobby in the 90s, and my dad did in the 70s. My dad always used undergravel filters and in the late 90s he started using hob's. We had the healthiest tanks that I can remember running UGF and HOBs, and our tanks running for 5-10 years rarely got water changes and were fine.

So I think sumps and equipment beyond lights, some sort of aerator and movement, are not necessary, but they can be very helpful and convenient. I enjoy our tanks that have sumps because I can hide all the equipment in there and use filter floss that is easy to remove. Although it's not required, I don't want to run tanks without a refugium ever again. This is such an easy way to extend time between water changes by removing nitrates and phosphates. But mostly the sump and other hidden equipment is for convenience and visual appeal.

Fishingman047901

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never ran a reef without a sump. My first "reef" in the mid-90's used a converted wet-dry filter as a sump. Yep... they all scoffed when I took the bioballs out of it. It had a DIY Venturi skimmer, a heater, and a float valve controlled gravity feed ATO in its sump. It was a sad reef by today's standards. Today I use a 30 gallon DIY sump for my 90 gallon "soon to be reef". Interestingly, the only things in it right now are a skimmer, a heater, and most importantly, the float switches for my gravity fed/solenoid. But, I have reactors for GFO & GAC, a Calcium Reactor, dosing pumps, a remote fuge for Cheato, additional pumps to run the reactors, & other equipment I've collected over the years.

Much of what might or might be "required" has to do with the expectations for the system... high or low bioload... softie or SPS reef, or somewhere in between... in a stable temperature controlled environment or out in the garage... new tank or mature... 20 gallon or 200 gallon... and etc.

I have yet to decide exactly what my reef will be when it grows up, but I have lots of options.
What did you replace the bio-balls with? How did you convert it I guess is my question? Very interested.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you replace the bio-balls with? How did you convert it I guess is my question? Very interested.
Nothing. After reading about the "Berlin Method", I just removed the bioballs a few at a time until they were gone. Unfortunately the space where the bioballs were wasn't good for much else so it remained mostly just empty space. The rock inside the tank, a mix of Gulf and Fiji Live Rock, handled the ammonia and nitrite. With no bioballls, the same rock reduced the nitrates more efficiently. The whole tank was still pretty prehistoric, but in some ways it was ahead of its time. It was bare bottom & had power heads for flow. The DIY skimmer was 4' tall and only 4" ID. It took an expensive high pressure pump like an Iwaki to run it efficiently, and it was loud. The ATO only held a couple gallons and had to be filled with dechlorinated tap water... yes tap water... every few days. It had a couple 250 W 5600K (I think) Metal Halides hanging over it. All it would support was mushrooms, soft corals, and some heartier LPS like bubbles and hammers but then again you couldn't get much else back then. All that said, the tank was nothing as compared to today's systems.

I owned a decent sized LFS back then so getting stuff was a little easier and cheaper. I installed a 500 GPD Culligan RO system, remote DI resin modules, and a big storage tank in the store later in the 90's and sold "purified" water that we assumed to be 0 TDS. It wasn't my idea though. A customer (Culligan Salesman) talked me into it. Things got a little easier in my tank once that was done because an RO unit for my house was in the deal! We sold a lot of water to boot.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have a sump in 1970, and I don't have a sump now. And my 32 Fiji is an AIO, but I still wouldn't call that a sump.
The aio has bio balls and floss - no more than a HOB. But I also have a small hob on the aio for added filtration. It's a reef with both fish and corals.
My 125 Fowlr has 2 large aquaclear HOBs, and I built a surface skimmer with bio-balls, floss, and pump.

Attachments

• 20211017_202022.jpg
    20211017_202022.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 28

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump is not needed, but is helpful. I like a clean look to my display and a sump allows this. Gives more rooms in display and hides lots.
Now, my 6g runs with just a HOB little filter. I have also run my 20g and 40g without sump for a long time. Just some hob filters and hob protein skimmers. They were fine that way too.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original tank has no sump. I use a fluval cartridge filter, and a hang on the back skimmer. My new tank is 90 gallons, and I bought a sump because I thought that was the way to go for placing equipment. As to the sump. I like the skimmer out of sight, but am nervous about it overflowing into the water. My hang on the back did overflow almost burning my home down. Except for the skimmer, and a media filter, I have yet to figure out what to put in it. Had some cheno ? but does not grow. Also don't know the benefit of it. I do like the sump for ease of maintenance, and water changes. No stress on my fish, and soon to get coral. Need some advice as to what to put in it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back