No Tank Lids vs Yes Tank Lids ?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be worth noting that I have a RedSea 525xl rimless tank, custom mesh top (basically rimless) and I only go through 5 gallons of top off a week. I don't think it be fair to say it's a ridiculous endeavor to have rimless for the purposes stated.

Where did you get your mesh top?

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top for sure ! I liked open top Concept but not practical for me after running 6 months .
I bought a piece of acrylic to make a top over my 80 gallon deep blue rimless. I was so tried of adding 5 gallons to my Ato every 3 days due to evaporation and humidity being at 80% . Having to run a dehumidifier all day

B7Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acrylic AIO has some bracing so not totally rimless but yes, open top with lights over open water. No more canopies for me - way too much tinkering and that would make it very inconvenient. Plus, l like the minimalist, clean look. Also like to keep equipment out. The only thing in my display is the wet side of my Vortech. No jumpers yet but I really should do some mesh at some point.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the,...white screen tank lids ?

Check on brs DIY screen kit. Basically it's a white plastic mesh that uses a screen window frame to hold it. Cut it to size and place over the holes. There are some limitations but I find cost is low and they are easy to maintain.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check on brs DIY screen kit. Basically it's a white plastic mesh that uses a screen window frame to hold it. Cut it to size and place over the holes. There are some limitations but I find cost is low and they are easy to maintain.

Sorry buddy, I thought it was something different. Thanks.

tallcamera2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh lids for sure! I’ve had fish jump namely wrasses and luckily, they’re survived. My LFS has mesh lids on all their tanks.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have filters, power heads heaters etc, which are above the water line, how do keep the fish from flying out of the tank between those and the mesh ?
Any pics guys ?

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ran almost all of my setups topless for YEARS & only now am I dead set on getting lids for each of them, as I just recently lost my favorite fish who ended up being a fan of jumping. :/

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that Emily. It's hard loosing fish. One of my Wrasse's jumped out and our cat got it. Plus, all kinds of airborne matters, including the dust from my Cockatoo get's into the tank. So no open tank for me. Too much evaporation as well.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had egg crate sitting on a rimless tank until I decided what lid I wanted. Took the egg crate off for maintenance then sat back and enjoyed the beautiful view. Ran to store for fresh clams for fish and forgot the lid. Came home to my new Midas Blenny on the floor.
I try to be very alert when mesh tops is off for cleaning now.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used black egg crate, as it was a black 29g Oceanic Bio Cube, so it bleat in nicely. But, like I mentioned above, the fish still found it's way out of one of the holes.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need something, and that something needs to fit. Lost my blenny, yellow head goby and a Picasso clown, while waiting for my Clearview Lid to come in. Was trying to get away with using my old DIY Red Sea mesh, even though it didn’t fit around my new lights.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had egg crate sitting on a rimless tank until I decided what lid I wanted. Took the egg crate off for maintenance then sat back and enjoyed the beautiful view. Ran to store for fresh clams for fish and forgot the lid. Came home to my new Midas Blenny on the floor.
I try to be very alert when mesh tops is off for cleaning now.
That’s how I lost my Barnacle Blenny.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh lids all the way. Evaporation doesn't really matter to me it is the dissipation of heat from the water that is evaporating, which lessens the amount of time my chiller is used. Also ensuring no fish takes a dive out of the tank is a big bonus. With regards to PAR not sure it would really matter but I am glad I don't have clean the glass lids anymore.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back