No WiFi on new reef-pi

SoundsDigital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a reef-pi running on one tank successfully. Recently purchased another Raspberry Pi B 3+ to put on a second tank. Ive tried repeatedly to install the OS on my SD card but cannot get the wifi to work. Just get the message No Wireless Interfaces Found when I click the icon to connect on the Pi desktop. I can connect over a wired network but this isn't really practical on my second tank.

I've tried two different SD cards and two different raspberry pis. Even tried earlier versions of Raspian in case it was a glitch in the latest version.

I've set it up exactly the same as my first reef-pi (and an octopi) ehich never gave me any issues, but now I have this issue on two of them.

I also notice that I don't have a bluetooth icon on the top of the screen (not that I was planning on using that)

I have read online about checking the wifi and bluetooth are not blocked with sudo rfkill unblock all and sudo rfkill list all. No wifi or Bluetooth modules are listed with the latter.

Anybody got any advice please?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoundsDigital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update. Tried the one of the SD cards I had used in one of the new Raspberry Pis in the original working reef-pi and it does connect to my wifi network, so thinking maybe it's an issue with two raspberry PIs, both with the same fault, or has there been an update to the later models with a different wifi adapter that I don't have drivers for on my sd card?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i understand correctly, this is a raspberry pi wifi issue and not related to the reef-pi software right?
do you see the wifi interface in terminal? `ifconfig -a`

OP
OP
S

SoundsDigital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got to the bottom of it. It turns out the raspberry pi 3 I was sold wasn’t a raspberry pi 3, but a B+ which doesn’t have a WiFi adapter fitted

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got to the bottom of it. It turns out the raspberry pi 3 I was sold wasn’t a raspberry pi 3, but a B+ which doesn’t have a WiFi adapter fitted
I was suspecting that. You can check the model number on the board itself. Older models don’t have built in WiFi and you need and external/usb wifi adapter.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back