No3 1ppm Po4 less of 0.02, chaeto not happy

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, my tank is new, 15g total, 10g display, low populated (2 clown, 5 snails, 1 amboniensis, 3 frag), i have a skimmer, activated carbon and a chaeto reactor.

Chaeto isn't happy, is gettin whiteish little by little, for what i've got it can be due to low nutrient (i would not say light, there is surely enough light).

My value are:
KH 10
ph 8.2
nh3 less than 0.02
salinity 1.024
temp 27.2
CA 340
MG 1340
NO3 1
PO4 less than 0.02

I have some diatoms coming out during the day and going away at night. Reactor is ON 16h a day mostly when tank is off. I feed pellet, dried brine shrimp and today i have started with live artemia (and tomorrow frozen since i have freezed it). I feed twice a day (morning and evening) 2 times a week i feed corals nutrient and once a week minerals, oligoelement, etc (microbe lift all-in-one)

What should i do? Turn off the reactor and let it dye until i actually need it? dose no3 po4? feed more (what does it mean, how much more)?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, my tank is new, 15g total, 10g display, low populated (2 clown, 5 snails, 1 amboniensis, 3 frag), i have a skimmer, activated carbon and a chaeto reactor.

Chaeto isn't happy, is gettin whiteish little by little, for what i've got it can be due to low nutrient (i would not say light, there is surely enough light).

My value are:
KH 10
ph 8.2
nh3 less than 0.02
salinity 1.024
temp 27.2
CA 340
MG 1340
NO3 1
PO4 less than 0.02

I have some diatoms coming out during the day and going away at night. Reactor is ON 16h a day mostly when tank is off. I feed pellet, dried brine shrimp and today i have started with live artemia (and tomorrow frozen since i have freezed it). I feed twice a day (morning and evening) 2 times a week i feed corals nutrient and once a week minerals, oligoelement, etc (microbe lift all-in-one)

What should i do? Turn off the reactor and let it dye until i actually need it? dose no3 po4? feed more (what does it mean, how much more)?
Allow the skimmer to empty back into the tank rather than collecting or reduce the size / lighting duration on the chaeto.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If running the lights in reverse for ph stability, I would keep and dose no3 and po4. If not, I’d take the chaeto offline entirely.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to be sure that i have understood...i take the cup of the skimmer and empty it back in the tank?
Nah, allow to drain as it collects. Most cups have a plug at bottom to accommodate.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My value are:
KH 10
ph 8.2
nh3 less than 0.02
salinity 1.024
temp 27.2
CA 340
MG 1340
NO3 1
PO4 less than 0.02

I may be wrong, but this sounds like a lack of iron, as any detectable NO3 and phosphate should be enough.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, allow to drain as it collects. Most cups have a plug at bottom to accommodate.
Yes. Keep drain valve open or remove cup entirely and allow it to overflow.
Allow the skimmer to empty back into the tank rather than collecting or reduce the size / lighting duration on the chaeto.

Hi guys, it's now nearly 4 days of drain cap open for the skimmer, i have also reinversed the whole thing in the tank 2 times....NO3 is still 1 and PO4 is still less than 0.02

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update...last week I have changed light led with a strip of 2835 3meter warm white 3000k ... Po4 and no3 never moved but today I've cleaned the reactor and I have seen with pleasure that chaeto doubled in size at least. Dunno if for the skimmed in the tank or for the new light or both, but it's all good now.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back