2EA055D2-ED1A-4B4F-A914-201436CB0720.jpeg
D13053DE-DC24-4534-B19D-994046E4A345.jpeg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very very nice build! huge tank and I hope to follow suit one day and get a large tank!
I do have a few questions,
1) did you run the radion g4's and t5 on 2 panels or just one? would one row of them light the tank from front to back with the coral grow out?
2) why so many WAV pumps and gyres, why not fewer larger pumps? Like the tunze or hydro wizards?
3)Do you worry about fumes from your cars exhausts getting into the tank?

thanks for allowing us to tag along on this epic build!!

corey

OP
OP
HmoneyReefOkc

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very very nice build! huge tank and I hope to follow suit one day and get a large tank!
I do have a few questions,
1) did you run the radion g4's and t5 on 2 panels or just one? would one row of them light the tank from front to back with the coral grow out?
2) why so many WAV pumps and gyres, why not fewer larger pumps? Like the tunze or hydro wizards?
3)Do you worry about fumes from your cars exhausts getting into the tank?

thanks for allowing us to tag along on this epic build!!

corey

Hi Biecacka, thanks for the compliments, the Radions are on one 20amp circuit dedicated for them, and the t5s are on another with the skimmer. In all honesty besides the initial install i havnt run the t5s at all... i’m getting superb coverage with the G4 Pros so i’ve Just been running them and get cover front to back. And to answer your concern the t5 and Radions trip the breaker when all on same hence the split.

I really like the WAVs for the controllability and diverse flow schedules i have them on. I have 4 of the largest size Gyre in here two on each side and get more than enough flow with just them. If i lower the gyres at all i have to turn them down as they turn up all the sand....But with the WAV and future growth of corals i can place them around the tank to increase flow around the colonies. I highly recommend the WAVs and the New Gyres.

* not putting any cars in the garage that are daily drivers so no exhaust issues.

Last edited:

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool. thank you for the clarification! I run a gyre pump on my tank, i was just thinking you could run 2 hydra wizards on that tank probably, or the likes of that size pump.
Panta Rhei ECM42 (and its larger versions) is the other pump

corey

OP
OP
HmoneyReefOkc

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool. thank you for the clarification! I run a gyre pump on my tank, i was just thinking you could run 2 hydra wizards on that tank probably, or the likes of that size pump.
Panta Rhei ECM42 (and its larger versions) is the other pump

corey

Yeah for sure.. i looked into them and pretty much every piece of equipment on the market... i had quite a bit of time to plan out the equipment... i opted for more powerheads and controllability than just huge single directional flow. I also “had” 4 MP60’s, 5 mp40, and like 6 of The older model gyres... i gave them all to my best friend to run on his/our grow out systems... he keeps a backup or 5 of every SPS and chalice i own as he has three frag systems running and a ****** display. If you’re in this SPS hobby i can’t recommend enough in having a trustworthy friend to keep all of your coral backups for when something goes south.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we do something like that local here as well.
I seen a guy online who had 4 of the large Panta Rhei pumps on his tank. Plenty of random flow and you could surf in the tank. ;Panda
But I totally respect multiple pumps over 2 or so.

Corey

OP
OP
HmoneyReefOkc

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for anyone trying to figure it out size wise i’m 6’1 and 240ish lbs... and surprisingly I was able to maneuver around and even turn around under water. It was a really cool experience. Also, just an FYI, i took very extensive shower with no soaps other than iodine before getting in and was completely dry prior as well. Tank was a cool 77 degrees and I got used to the temp rather quickly.

ruidos99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s strange, my last 300g tank was suuper stable, my 1400g system was very hard to get stable.... its been 3 years to get results on SPS..

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for anyone trying to figure it out size wise i’m 6’1 and 240ish lbs... and surprisingly I was able to maneuver around and even turn around under water. It was a really cool experience. Also, just an FYI, i took very extensive shower with no soaps other than iodine before getting in and was completely dry prior as well. Tank was a cool 77 degrees and I got used to the temp rather quickly.

Out of curiosity, how much water do you displace? Lol. Do you overflow the tank or sump when you dive in?

OP
OP
HmoneyReefOkc

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, how much water do you displace? Lol. Do you overflow the tank or sump when you dive in?

Haha!! I went in rather slowly, one leg at a time and i have essentially two large sumps so I didn’t overflow anything. Certainly splashed a bit on the outside of the tank though with all of the coral fragging and gluing in and out of the tank. If i were to dive in i’d Probably displace a fair amount, enough to soak the kids on the front row at “The Orca Show”.

OP
OP
HmoneyReefOkc

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick little update... CustomReedCreations stocked me up with a plethora of inverts (hermits, cucumbers, snails, shrimp, urchins) and Anthias (bicolor and disparate) this past week, and Michael at NYAquatic came through pretty huge today... with a nice little Hawaiian shipment. With the exception of a few rare one off fish that i’ll get as they come along, and a very unique collection i’m Getting in March, this should set me up for awhile.

OP
OP
HmoneyReefOkc

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes i realize the zoas are at risk. Figured i’ll Watch the zoas and fish daily and if needed remove zoas for the frag tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back