Noise: Iwaki MD-100RLT vs. Amp Master 6250? Anyone have experience with these?

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Iwaki MD-100RLT that I'm using to drive a large Venturi skimmer. I'm very happy with the performance of the Iwaki but the noise is too much. I'm not interested in Abyzz or any other DC pumps for this application. Has anyone used the Amp Master 6250? Ideally, is there anyone familiar with noise output from both the Iwaki 100 and the Amp Master 6250?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on the Amp Master specifically but it looks like it is a direct drive pump which are usually quieter than magnetic drive pumps. The only down side to Direct Drive is that there is a seal between the direct drive shaft and the volute that tends to wear out. This will need periodic replacing. If it doesn't get replaced it could lead to a good sized flood.

I am more familiar with Reeflo than the Amp Master and I can tell you that a 6,000gph Reeflo would be quieter than an Iwaki MD100 but it would leak randomly every year or so. I would not want a direct drive pump in my living room but I would be fine with one in a fish room or business.

OP
OP
Tft12

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That’s great info. The Amp Masters are supposed to have a longer lasting seal than the Reeflos.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both. The Iwaka is much noisier then the amp master. I just rebuilt both my amp masters front ends and the service from them was very good.

waterluvingirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Iwaki MD-100RLT that I'm using to drive a large Venturi skimmer. I'm very happy with the performance of the Iwaki but the noise is too much. I'm not interested in Abyzz or any other DC pumps for this application. Has anyone used the Amp Master 6250? Ideally, is there anyone familiar with noise output from both the Iwaki 100 and the Amp Master 6250?
6250 are very quiet and their custom seals last for years, unlike the rest. Have had no issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back