Noisy brand new sicce 1.0

Mashimaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the EXACT problem as you and would like a solution as well.
I got a waterbox cube 15.
I have done all the things suggested and even tried another sicce 1.0 pump... still noisy.
I have resigned to the fact that the dimension of that weir compartment amplifies the noise somehow.

robertpdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox 20 and just replaced the pump with a Syncra 1.0. It is definitely louder than the stock pump (before the original developed a rattle). They should not be using advertising terms like 100% silent. Of course it can't be 100% silent, any motor will make noise but I expected as good if not better than the stock pump.

The Syncra has a relatively loud hum. Not a rattle like a worn impeller. I thought it might be the cover or flow dial as there is some play there but my attempts to eliminate it with a zip tie did nothing.

I am going to try some filter sponge to line the bottom and sides where the pump sits. Will report back soon.

robertpdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1" thick piece of filter sponge for the pump to rest on did the trick. It's now a quiet, tolerable white noise. I added a few pieces on the sides but it made no difference, so I did not leave them in. I hope this helps someone else!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the EXACT problem as you and would like a solution as well.
I got a waterbox cube 15.
I have done all the things suggested and even tried another sicce 1.0 pump... still noisy.
I have resigned to the fact that the dimension of that weir compartment amplifies the noise somehow.

Yeah me too, mines in a Nuvo 14, tried wrapping in a silicone mat, sitting on the mat, hanging from the return tube, all make no difference, weird as if I hold it in the tank, it’s not silent but a lot better then in the return chamber. Might just try a different Sicce pump. Something not making sense as some people have got silent ones, with the same tank as mine.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tubing in contact at all with the wall of the chamber? That could be the cause of the noise. I have the same pump in the third chamber of my IM Fusion 10 gallon and it's so quiet I can't hear it from my chair which is right up against the tank.

@saltyhog any chance you can post some pictures of how your Sicce is setup in the chamber, tubing and placement etc as I have just bought another Sicce to try, thinking the first one was faulty but it’s exactly the same.
The noise has to be down to placement as both are a lot quieter when tried out in the display, but as soon as I place it in the 3rd chamber I get the noise!

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the 0.5 in my Evo and that hums quite loudly as well. It’s not touching anything and has the suction cups on. I think the small chamber size just amplifies the noise that it makes. Due to my flow over the weir the water noise drowns most of it out.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the 0.5 in my Evo and that hums quite loudly as well. It’s not touching anything and has the suction cups on. I think the small chamber size just amplifies the noise that it makes. Due to my flow over the weir the water noise drowns most of it out.

That makes sense as when I tested mine in a bucket of water, it would get progressively louder the closer I moved it towards the side of the bucket, without touching the side but it doesn’t explain why many say their Sicce is silent in the same types of tanks?

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense as when I tested mine in a bucket of water, it would get progressively louder the closer I moved it towards the side of the bucket, without touching the side but it doesn’t explain why many say their Sicce is silent in the same types of tanks?

oh I agree. I bought this pump because of the “silent“ selling point. I wonder to what extent the stand/cupboard that people have their tank on comes into play. If I open my cupboard doors it’s louder so the cupboard must also be amplifying the sound.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I agree. I bought this pump because of the “silent“ selling point. I wonder to what extent the stand/cupboard that people have their tank on comes into play. If I open my cupboard doors it’s louder so the cupboard must also be amplifying the sound.

yeah I was thinking the cabinet must play a part, hold your hand over the 3rd chamber and the noise also increases lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back