Noisy return line

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon marineland tank using a Durso style drain. The noise issue is coming from the return line. Just before the flexible loc-line going into the tank is an elbow. Under the elbow is a small hole. I assume this is a siphon break. Due to line pressure water is squirting out of this hole creating excessive splashing noise. How do i resolve this? I do have a check valve in the return line and I am thinking of plugging this hole. Can I just super glue or epoxy it closed?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture? The syphon break hole is typically just under the water line so no splashing.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not block those holes as they stop an excessive amount of water from entering the sump from the return siphoning.

While a check valve is used for this issue, unless they are taken apart and cleaned on a regular basis, they typically fail open and do not do what they were designed to do.

OP
OP
A

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture? The syphon break hole is typically just under the water line so no splashing.
Mine is above the water line. How can I remedy this? I do not have a valve on the overflow line to the sump . Since I have a check valve in the return line would it hurt to plug this hole?

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either lower the return line bringing the anti-siphon hole just below the water surface or raise the water level in the display tank by raising the drain level.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is above the water line. How can I remedy this? I do not have a valve on the overflow line to the sump . Since I have a check valve in the return line would it hurt to plug this hole?

Check valve would be an option but they are not bulletproof.. I would seal the hole and drill another just below water line.

OP
OP
A

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either lower the return line bringing the anti-siphon hole just below the water surface or raise the water level in the display tank by raising the drain level.
Thank you for all of the responses. Everything is hard piped therefore in order to adjust the height of the lines i need to drain the tank. Upon looking at the instructions they show the siphon hole located on the vertical straight pipe about 1/4 inch below the elbow . Mine is located on the under side of the elbow just under the turn Making it about 1 inch over the water line. I’m thinking of plugging this upper hole and drilling a hole lower in the pipe under the water line. What’s the best way to plug this upper hole? Super glue or pvc pipe glue. If its not completely plugged it will spray. Once again thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling a new hole is a good option. Plugging the old hole will not be easy. The pressure is going to want to push out any thing like epoxy in the hole. If you can, epoxy a patch over the hole so you have more bonding surface.

OP
OP
A

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lapin. I agree that hole will not be easy to seal because its right on the underside of the elbow Just before the horizontal bend. Should i use ABS or styrene For the patch? If the patch doesn’t hold My other option may be to cut the elbow off with a dremel and install a new one. I am concerned about creating a leak in the bulk head due to excess handling. I have got to believe that other people have had the same issue with the marineland corner overflow tanks. This is the one my LFS recommended.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a product as close to whatever the elbow is made out of. Use a glue that is made to bond both.
Making it look clean will be the hardest part.
Post a picture when done.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this elbow you're talking about a standard Loc-line elbow? If so you could replace it with a new elbow(no hole) and go ahead and drill the new hole in the correct location.

Scroll down to the elbows;

OP
OP
A

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like standard 1 inch white pvc pipe. I am going to try to patch the hole first . If i cut the pipe the return going into the tank will be 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower in the tank.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so if it's standard PVC pipe then fast setting PVC would work well. What I'd do is get a short piece of scrap pvc pipe the same 1" diameter as your pipe and cut it in half length wise giving you a sort of half circle piece left, trim it down some more if needed. It won't need to be very big at all. Drain your water level enough to allow you to work on the return line, clean and wipe pipe dry and use the PVC glue to glue the patch right over the hole. If you buy fast setting PVC glue it will set in a few seconds and be useable in a few minutes. Be careful not to spill any of the glue into the tank obviously. lol. I would think that would seal it just fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so if it's standard PVC pipe then fast setting PVC would work well. What I'd do is get a short piece of scrap pvc pipe the same 1" diameter as your pipe and cut it in half length wise giving you a sort of half circle piece left, trim it down some more if needed. It won't need to be very big at all. Drain your water level enough to allow you to work on the return line, clean and wipe pipe dry and use the PVC glue to glue the patch right over the hole. If you buy fast setting PVC glue it will set in a few seconds and be useable in a few minutes. Be careful not to spill any of the glue into the tank obviously. lol. I would think that would seal it just fine.
That sounds like the best plan of action other than i may have to go 1 size larger pipe diameter since i am glueing to the outside of the elbow.
Thank you
Rich R

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how you end up correcting this and post a couple pics, I bet someone else will have the same problem with their new tank too. Good luck, have a good weekend!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe put some sponge filter over the hole to disperse the spray to quiet it down?
12-pcs-sponge-black-cover-aquarium-pre-filter-large-size-compatible-with-filters-fish-tank-sponges_189680_600.jpg

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck! i am tempted to offer solutions to problems I can't visualize just to be helpful. in this case i will simply wish you well to express my friendliness.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back