Noisy Sicce 1.0 in Waterbox AIO

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I am just setting up a Waterbox peninsula mini 25. All is good except the Sicce 1.0 return pump which seems to be vibrating and making an annoying buzzing noise.

If I lightly touch the glass at the top of the aquarium I can feel it vibrating very slightly. Should I be able to feel that?

The pump has the suction cups on and I have done my best to have it not touching the sides of the chamber, though that’s almost impossible as the return pump chamber is very tight.

I am not sure if I have a bad pump, and I should get another Sicce, or I should try something else that is physically a bit smaller like an Eheim CompactON 1000 which I can more easily keep away from the chamber walls.

Any help / ideas appreciated.

Last edited:

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same pump, two of them and they are louder at first and break in and get quieter. I have a tight AIO setup too (not WB) and you could consider wrapping the pump in a silcone matt to reduce contact and vibration. You might not need to use the section cups. Good luck!

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same pump, two of them and they are louder at first and break in and get quieter. I have a tight AIO setup too (not WB) and you could consider wrapping the pump in a silcone matt to reduce contact and vibration. You might not need to use the section cups. Good luck!

Thanks for your help.

Here is a video of the return chamber so you can hear the noise. Is that what you heard from your pumps when they were new? And now it's OK?

To give you an idea of volume I can hear it 30 feet away.

Thanks again

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, very similar. Its a good pump, like i said I have two...one for my main pump and one as a spare :) I also took off the front basket because my i dont need to worry about keeping livestock out of mine. It saves a little room and maybe some contact points due to vibration.

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, very similar. Its a good pump, like i said I have two...one for my main pump and one as a spare :) I also took off the front basket because my i dont need to worry about keeping livestock out of mine. It saves a little room and maybe some contact points due to vibration.

I like the idea about removing the front basket. Thanks again for your help.

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea about removing the front basket. Thanks again for your help.
When mine was noisy I thought wow I (meaning my wife :p) cant listen to this all day. So what I did was keep my factory pump in the tank until the Sicce broke in. I cycled my Sicce in a bucket of water for about a week than did the swap. Just a thought.

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I am just setting up a Waterbox peninsula mini 25. All is good except the Sicce 1.0 return pump which seems to be vibrating and making an annoying buzzing noise.

If I lightly touch the glass at the top of the aquarium I can feel it vibrating very slightly. Should I be able to feel that?

The pump has the suction cups on and I have done my best to have it not touching the sides of the chamber, though that’s almost impossible as the return pump chamber is very tight.

I am not sure if I have a bad pump, and I should get another Sicce, or I should try something else that is physically a bit smaller like an Eheim CompactON 1000 which I can more easily keep away from the chamber walls.

Any help / ideas appreciated.
The Eheim compactON 1000 is a really loud pump. I bought one for mu uv sterilizer. I bought another one to replace it and its equally as loud. The propeller is extremely loose and has alot of play that makes all the noise. Right now I have it laying on its side to reduce the noise while a sicce 1.0 comes from Amazon.

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Eheim compactON 1000 is a really loud pump. I bought one for mu uv sterilizer. I bought another one to replace it and its equally as loud. The propeller is extremely loose and has alot of play that makes all the noise. Right now I have it laying on its side to reduce the noise while a sicce 1.0 comes from Amazon.

Thanks for the advice. I have read other posts that say it is loud too.

I am now not sure what to do. I understand the Sicce might get more quiet over time but lots of other people say their Sicce pumps are silent from first switch on, so something is not right here.

Maybe I will try another Sicce 1.0 in the hope it my original one is defective. The video I posted needs the volume turning up a fair bit to appreciate the problem, it really is quite loud. I downloaded a decibel meter for my phone and it reads 60db right by the tank.

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I have read other posts that say it is loud too.

I am now not sure what to do. I understand the Sicce might get more quiet over time but lots of other people say their Sicce pumps are silent from first switch on, so something is not right here.

Maybe I will try another Sicce 1.0 in the hope it my original one is defective. The video I posted needs the volume turning up a fair bit to appreciate the problem, it really is quite loud. I downloaded a decibel meter for my phone and it reads 60db right by the tank.
I have a sicce 2.0 for my algae scrubber and its ok. Maybe get a small dc pump?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been through this, if it’s not touching the sides and still noisy you are unlikely to get it quiet, same with the eheim, I ended up with a jecod very quiet on the low setting, it’s dc so controllable but low is all that I need, turn it up and that too gets a little loud but no issues on the setting I use.

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just swapped out the Sicce for the stock pump that came with the Waterbox. Because everyone automatically 'upgrades' from the stock pump I assumed it would be garbage, I was going to use it to mix salt water and be a backup. But I am now surrounded by beautiful silence. Hopefully it will last. The Sicce is now demoted to salt mixing or might be returned as surely it must be defective.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with their advice.

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you came up with a good solution! Cycle the Sicce and see if it quiets down, if not return it. Again if the WB pump works, why change it too...I like having a backup pump as its the heart of the system.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back