Nominate Your R2R Reefer Of The Year!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard for me having an open discussion with a 23yr old with 6mos of reefing experience that thinks they have it all figured out. I've been reefing since 2007. Just by my personal failures, I know quite a bit. Am I expert level? Not even close. But I would say I'm intermediate. Just hard to deal with punks with 6mos of experience trying to convince me when I know their advice has gaping Swiss cheese holes in it
By the same token, and for me it’s maybe more frustrating, are people who have been keeping tanks for years who are so set in their ways and so resistant to change, to learning something new, or are not open to considering that they maybe have been doing something wrong or not as well as they could for years. I think those of us that have been in the hobby for more than decade are probably all guilty of this at some point, and I think we sometimes let our egos get in the way, but I try to keep an open mind, I’ve been keeping reefs since 1999, and I still learn new stuff related to the hobby pretty much daily.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda
For his simplistic way to setup a CARX. Mine has been rock solid for 1.5 years now and is almost set and forget.

@Randy Holmes-Farley
For all the time he takes to educate everyone in reef science. I have been away from industrial chemistry for over 20 years and found an old chemistry book at a neighbors garage sale and have been educating myself again with it.
20211228_112104.jpg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be a great way to know who knows their stuff. Right now the only information you can go off of at a glance is how many messages and reactions someone has. And, not naming names buuuut, it's really easy to inflate those numbers by just posting GIFs on live sale threads
where's your build thread?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where's your build thread?
still compiling pictures for it, and I would argue that a build thread doesn't mean you're a good reef keeper. It really just shows that you can assemble an aquarium. Now, the build threads that are kept up to date and follow the tanks journey, THAT'S what I like to see!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still compiling pictures for it, and I would argue that a build thread doesn't mean you're a good reef keeper. It really just shows that you can assemble an aquarium. Now, the build threads that are kept up to date and follow the tanks journey, THAT'S what I like to see!
but an av pic does. ;Facepalm

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but an av pic does. ;Facepalm
a full tank shot would, yeah. If some knucklehead is telling you to dump a bottle of Vibrant into your aquarium because you found some GHA, and their tank is covered in GHA, then you know that their advice is probably crap. If you won't practice what you preach then why should anyone take your advice?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a full tank shot would, yeah. If some knucklehead is telling you to dump a bottle of Vibrant into your aquarium because you found some GHA, and their tank is covered in GHA, then you know that their advice is probably crap. If you won't practice what you preach then why should anyone take your advice?
i never give advice. :cool:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hard to call out a single individual. I rely on the thinking of certain individuals in a very subject-dependent way. MANY of the names listed I consider thought leaders on a given subject or two/three, but not my whole reef. It is the beauty of hanging around here enough to figure out not only the best thinkers, but those that generally deploy a method similar to my own.

A name that hasn't yet been mentioned -- but deserves to be -- is @taricha

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
jda and A.Grandis

jda as being someone that truly helps others and has real world experience to pull from.

A.Grandis because it is awesome to watch the same few people get their panties in a wad when he posts. I love watching the drama unfold because the same few fall for the bait every time. It takes true genius to fool the same people over and over and over

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back