None of my fish like Blackworms. How is this possible?!

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I ordered some black worms from eastern aquatics to entice a finicky Copperband to eat — he constantly picks at rocks for feather worms but my tank only has a finite supply of them. They arrived today, and after the required cleaning out of the bag, I turned off the flow and threw some in to see if he'd bite.

He managed to take and eat one, which was promising, but ignored the rest. I see that as progress, but am convinced to move onto the next offered food, Masstick and if I can find any, live mussels. I'll also try to somehow cram some worms into rock crevices to see if he has any interest.

What really surprised me though if that my tank's fish community — coral beauty, flame, potter's, purple tang, oscellaris pair... all voracious eaters who've gladly taken frozen black worms — took one look at the live worms and turned their noses up at it! I felt like I was offering children some delicious cake and they collectively said "Eww, that's gross! ;Vomit"

What gives?! Did I miss a step in cleaning? (I rinsed the worms in cold water a couple times). Should I add garlic to entice?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of days is normal and my CBB took longer than average to take black worms. Now it literally goes insane for them. Flashes around at full speed to grab every one it can....

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the input!

Did a couple more small feedings tonight, and the CB is already chasing down a couple worms. Purple Tang has also taken some interest!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back