**Noob alert** - First tank

Starlord1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello wonderful people,

I am starting my first tank ever, got a 20G long and I am hoping to get a peacock mantis shrimp. Is an innovative marine, very thick glass. I've done quite a bit of research online and i just get so many options i figured i should get some possible direct feedback.

Q1.- Burrow: Ive seen a lot of people use plastic pipe for their tunnels. But I'm not really a fan of how that looks. are they really that much better burrows? I've read that the most comfortable their burrows are the more they will feel safe and go out of it to explore.

Q2.- feeding: small amounts every day vs bigger feeding every couple of days? ive seen frozen fish, and also pellets? can i use feeder fresh water shrimp?

Q3.- Corals: A lot of the tanks i find for PEacock mantis dont have very many corals, im not planing on going crazy but would like 4-5 corals, i already got 2 softies.

Q4.- Rocks, i have about 15 lbs o live rock, to add another burro i would have to put about 6-7 more. is there a rule of thumb as to how much rock is too much?

anyway, below are some pics of my tank, feedback is always welcome.

Muchas gracias!

IMG-20190924-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20190924-WA0000.jpg

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mantis shrimp before never a peacock though. From my experience mantis shrimp are very easy to feed mine would take food from tweezers table shrimp and such. They also move around ALOT mine lived in a 45 gallon and went from one side to the tank to the other. And i never saw my mantis shrimp even look at a coral i had lps and softies but im sure they would leave sps alone too. one thing i can say is that they will use rubble to close there burrow and build it and stuff so if the only thing it can use to build its burrow is a piece of coral; then you might have a problem.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no first hand experience, but have entertained the idea of getting one, and at this point ruled it out, but anyways, here is what I would do.

Put a PVC/acrylic sheet on the bottom of the tank (where it will burrow down to) to keep it from breaking the bottom.

Feed it stuff with harder shells than just shrimp. a varied diet

PVC tunnels aren’t necessary to be above the sand.... if you don’t like the look of them just do a 4-5” deep substrate and bury them completely. That was my plan......

You’ll be fine with coral, but more light will probably mean less seeing your Mantis out and about.

OP
OP
S

Starlord1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! i will keep in mind to only attach coral to big rocks and get some more rumble stones

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the rule of thumb is for rock work in a tank. I’m pushing close to 120 in a 45. Many caves, crevices, ledges, and bridges. This one was setup like this on purpose. Rest of my tanks are minimal. This was my lead tank in the system to handle the load of my smaller tanks with less in them.

2B9BDFD5-F7C4-496C-A46F-F0CD0AC0E585.jpeg
P

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back