Noob-ish and cube-ish Redsea reefer Xl200

DerekB4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My history with saltwater aquariums is I had one about 10 years ago. This tank was a 55 diy budget build. I was able to keep fish alive but struggled with corals. This tank lasted about a year. I think the biggest reason my tanked failed because I was not patient with it and my diy skills are bad. So I still consider myself new to the hobby.

I always wanted to get back in the hobby. Finally pulled the trigger and got a RedSea Reefer 200XL. Hoping to have a healthy mixed reef tank. I started a fishless cycle towards the end of November and bought my first pair of clownfish today (March 6).

Equipment:

-Lights: Reefbreeders Photon V2s (just bought them will fix the cord later)
-Powerheads: 2 Sicce Xstream SDC pumps
-Skimmer: Bubble Magus curve 5
-Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0
-Heater: Aquatop
-testing kit: Tropic Marin compact lab test kit

So far I’m pretty happy with the equipment. Except the tropic Marin test kit and the Sicce ContrAll app is bad. I love that the app lets me know the temperature of my tank and sends notifications when the temp isn’t in range, and if the pumps get powered off for lack of WiFi. Changing the pumps power % and the mode is terrible sometimes it will make the change but most times it won’t.

Current stocking list I’m planning;
2 x clownfish ✅
Lawnmower Blenny
Diamond watchman goby
Firefish
Possibly a carpenters wrasse, or a small tang species
Start of with some hardy soft coral

Future plans:
Get an RODI unit
Find a way to get a refugium connected

Any suggestions to help me out are welcome.

5B62E973-178F-481C-8530-EB0AB9A394FB.jpeg

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, I would put that RODI system at the top of your list, I don’t have any experience with your power head setup but I’ve used Sicce pumps for returns and skimmer feeds, I did have some voyager pumps at one time, all were great.

OP
OP
DerekB4

DerekB4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a struggle. I was having issue keeping fish alive. I lost a couple clownfish and went fish-less for a while. I thought I might not have enough good bacteria so I started dosing bacteria and adding corals.

2 weeks ago I added a green chromis and that stayed alive. So I added 2 clowns to the tank. They didn’t eat this morning but I hoping that’s because they are still adjusting.

Had a cyano outbreak. I added a Aquatop submersible uv sterilizer into the display. That seems to be working only after a few days in the tank. I plan on moving that into the sump when the cyano is gone.

Equipment added
-RODI unit
-Finnex hang on back refugium (it’s quiet on the display but not in the sump. It is now with my pvc pipe contraption)
-Aquatop submersible UV sterilizer 7 watt

livestock:
-Green Chromis
-2 clowns
-frogspawn
-Lepto
-Gsp
-pulsing Xenia
-birdnest(?) sold as stylo
-Favite(?)
-hammer

Here’s some pics:

Attachments

• 34FF2CA5-8571-4BBB-A653-B738C6EB4378.jpeg
    34FF2CA5-8571-4BBB-A653-B738C6EB4378.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 9863CA27-EF79-40C3-87E4-A528B5B6080A.jpeg
    9863CA27-EF79-40C3-87E4-A528B5B6080A.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 58
  • CFDB61C7-8B33-40D4-9012-4DA8C7B1CE27.jpeg
    CFDB61C7-8B33-40D4-9012-4DA8C7B1CE27.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 54
  • ED36CD6F-5472-40C8-88CB-2FEFD4B20017.jpeg
    ED36CD6F-5472-40C8-88CB-2FEFD4B20017.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 47

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My history with saltwater aquariums is I had one about 10 years ago. This tank was a 55 diy budget build. I was able to keep fish alive but struggled with corals. This tank lasted about a year. I think the biggest reason my tanked failed because I was not patient with it and my diy skills are bad. So I still consider myself new to the hobby.

I always wanted to get back in the hobby. Finally pulled the trigger and got a RedSea Reefer 200XL. Hoping to have a healthy mixed reef tank. I started a fishless cycle towards the end of November and bought my first pair of clownfish today (March 6).

Equipment:

-Lights: Reefbreeders Photon V2s (just bought them will fix the cord later)
-Powerheads: 2 Sicce Xstream SDC pumps
-Skimmer: Bubble Magus curve 5
-Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0
-Heater: Aquatop
-testing kit: Tropic Marin compact lab test kit

So far I’m pretty happy with the equipment. Except the tropic Marin test kit and the Sicce ContrAll app is bad. I love that the app lets me know the temperature of my tank and sends notifications when the temp isn’t in range, and if the pumps get powered off for lack of WiFi. Changing the pumps power % and the mode is terrible sometimes it will make the change but most times it won’t.

Current stocking list I’m planning;
2 x clownfish ✅
Lawnmower Blenny
Diamond watchman goby
Firefish
Possibly a carpenters wrasse, or a small tang species
Start of with some hardy soft coral

Future plans:
Get an RODI unit
Find a way to get a refugium connected

Any suggestions to help me out are welcome.

5B62E973-178F-481C-8530-EB0AB9A394FB.jpeg
That’s a nice start! Fire fish are one of my favorites :) - kali

Back