Noob questions

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I've been on the site for a couple months researching and learning about 2 hours a day. The more I learn the more I realize I don't know. Today I register to post the below.

History: When I was younger (40 years ago) I had fresh water tanks for years but grew bored with them and wanted to move to salt water but the cost and life in general prohibit me from doing so. I now am in a position get a salt tank. I want to skip tendency to go smaller and progress to larger tanks and just get the larger tank and save $$ in the long run.

Questions:

1) I'm looking at a ~200-gallon tank either Red Sea or Waterbox mixed reef build. I want a tank that everywhere you look you see something different. I almost had my girlfriend "sold" on a peninsula style system, but she backed out and now prefers a tank against the wall.​
Main tank styles:​
  • Wall length: losing the entire back of viewing
  • Peninsula: losing an end of viewing
Why are there not more tanks with the overflow located in a single corner of the tank? This would maximize the potential viewing. I figure that if I purchased a tank that had this configuration, I could potentially use it as wall length tank or…. a peninsula style if I get her to change her mind later . I saw a tank build overseas that had this configuration.​

2) At the risk of answering question my own question above, how hard is it to get proper water flow on a 5-6 foot peninsular style tank to the far end?​

3) Chillers: My Florida home has a wildly changing temp range (did I mention the girlfriend yet?) In the summer, my house runs at ~77F when its just me at home, in the winter it can get down into the 60’s due to someone (see above) not liking the heater running..... *sigh*.​
  • Fact: The recommended temp range of a salt tank is 78F.​
I don’t know how much heat the LED lights and pumps add to the tank. If the house is at 77F will a chiller be required to keep it at 78F? I strongly suspect “YES”… so how big of a chiller for a ~200 gallon tank? The chillers I’ve looked at don’t really give a good idea of this.​

4) Do Red Sea or WaterBox traditionally have any sales that I might save $$ with the holidays coming up, Black Friday, Cyber Monday for example?​

Thank you for any responses.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tackle this part of your question:

3) Chillers: My Florida home has a wildly changing temp range (did I mention the girlfriend yet?) In the summer, my house runs at ~77F when its just me at home, in the winter it can get down into the 60’s due to someone (see above) not liking the heater running..... *sigh*.
  • Fact: The recommended temp range of a salt tank is 78F.
I don’t know how much heat the LED lights and pumps add to the tank. If the house is at 77F will a chiller be required to keep it at 78F? I strongly suspect “YES”… so how big of a chiller for a ~200 gallon tank? The chillers I’ve looked at don’t really give a good idea of this.

I'm in SW Florida, so it's a bit warmer all year round than where you are. And we don't get nearly as cool in the winter.

I run a 90g tank with a 25g sump/fuge. I have 2 Photon led fixtures (due to the 30" front to back dimension. I have a DC1200 main return pump running at 900gpg, a skimmer and 2 medium size wavemakers.

Our house is 80 degrees from mid Spring thru mid Fall. The tank ran 82 most of the time this summer (my first without a chiller). I think that's a bit high, but not a serious issue. However, if we lose power for very long and don't have A/C... well, you know! It's 90+ outside and keeping the tank cool enough is a big issue. So we now have a generator that can run the A/C and most of the house. We have to be careful about running the A/C, refrigerator and stove, especially all at the same time.

Once we can open the house and get cooler outside air in, tank temps go down. I don't need a heater very often, maybe 20 nights a year when the house gets a bit too cold (we don't like running the electric heat either). So a small in tank heater works.

I bought a used 1/3hp chiller and will probably set it up sometime this winter, in order to be ready for next summer. I've had other tanks, bigger tanks, and had a 1hp chiller located out in our backyard. That was great until it failed to turn off one night and chilled the tank down to below 60 degrees and I lost a 120g tank full of sps corals (mostly branching acros).

I hope that helps?

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to answer #1... Why are there not more tanks with the overflow located in a single corner of the tank? This would maximize the potential viewing. I figure that if I purchased a tank that had this configuration, I could potentially use it as wall length tank or…. a peninsula style if I get her to change her mind later . I saw a tank build overseas that had this configuration.

You want to skim the surface of the water so the proteins will move down into the sump/protein skimmer. With a longer weir (opening to the overflow box) you can skim more off the surface of the water. If you had a small weir or a tube in the corner of the tank it may maximize your viewing area but wouldn’t be very effective of skimming the surface. Hope this helps. Welcome to R2R.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back