Noob scoly help needed

Huntercowie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a scoly. Have had for a few days, came in retracted, put it in the shadows and stayed retracted. Check on it in AM after having light off and its blown up and looking good. Turn the light on and it starts retracting immediately. I have x2 blue plus 54 48" t5s. Im new to the hobby but from what im observing this light seems too intense even with the scoly in the sand in the shade under rocks. Am i right? Ive just been keeping light off until i have this figured out. Have nothing else in tank that requires them. The scoly does have an amazing feeding response.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a scoly. Have had for a few days, came in retracted, put it in the shadows and stayed retracted. Check on it in AM after having light off and its blown up and looking good. Turn the light on and it starts retracting immediately. I have x2 blue plus 54 48" t5s. Im new to the hobby but from what im observing this light seems too intense even with the scoly in the sand in the shade under rocks. Am i right? Ive just been keeping light off until i have this figured out. Have nothing else in tank that requires them. The scoly does have an amazing feeding response.
That kind of lights not going to mess with the Scully unless it's a very shallow tank how deep is your tank I would guess it just needs to get used to being in there not be stressed and finish acclimating

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can post a picture of it that could possibly help as well parameters of the tank will help alkalinity magnesium calcium ammonia nitrate

OP
OP
H

Huntercowie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kind of lights not going to mess with the Scully unless it's a very shallow tank how deep is your tank I would guess it just needs to get used to being in there not be stressed and finish acclimating
Its a standard 55g. Your probably right. Do you suggest i leave the lights off for a week?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be acclimating to your water . I have a few under 190-200 par, Radion G5 and they seem to be OK. Is your flow too high? They don’t like immense flow and will retract.

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a standard 55g. Your probably right. Do you suggest i leave the lights off for a week?
If it's a standard 55 gallon no I don't suggest leaving the lights off for a week it'll cause more harm than good to anything else that might be in there like you saaid find the Shaded area for it may be and just leave it be for a little while and see how it goes

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed pellets once a week directly to them. Small Coral Frenzy pellets, they get everything else from water.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
agree just acclimating ,love light,but slowly introduce :)
WP_20201028_17_11_24_Pro.jpg
WP_20201027_18_38_36_Pro.jpg

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed with LPS, scolys, acans, etc.. they wil show when they’re hungry. Mine also retract when they need a feeding. I feed tank LRS frozen and KZ supplements so there’s always something in the water.

OP
OP
H

Huntercowie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can post a picture of it that could possibly help as well parameters of the tank will help alkalinity magnesium calcium ammonia nitrate

Im a super noob need to order test for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity.
Have flow very low. Like i said before he does amazing in the dark and only has issues in the light. Has no problem feeding he gets twice the size at night and devours food.

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a super noob need to order test for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity.
Have flow very low. Like i said before he does amazing in the dark and only has issues in the light. Has no problem feeding he gets twice the size at night and devours food.
I think it'll be okay if you just kind of leave it be or put it in a shaded area of the tank I would not turn your lights off for a week also very important to get those test kits in and check your parameters also what kind of water are you using in the tank do you have an Rodi unit or using tap water with Prime

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Keep light low and slowly ramp up after 5 days. If bulbs appear to be too bright, you can change bulbs to an ocean blue or filter out brightness with current ones by placing small bubble- bubble wrap or cracked ice window film for bathroom windows underneath the bulbs

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under G5 Pro, AB @ 50%. Not shaded by anything but I watch the flow. Even the piece that I cut into pieces with a scalpel have grown and recovered well. Flow and feeding, don’t over feed. Has worked for me.
6FA2707E-0648-49A3-89F6-3F38B319A845.jpeg
2343675A-862A-4496-BB6A-9D8530F131AA.jpeg

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under G5 Pro, AB @ 50%. Not shaded by anything but I watch the flow. Even the piece that I cut into pieces with a scalpel have grown and recovered well. Flow and feeding, don’t over feed. Has worked for me.
6FA2707E-0648-49A3-89F6-3F38B319A845.jpeg
2343675A-862A-4496-BB6A-9D8530F131AA.jpeg
Those are very nice I like

OP
OP
H

Huntercowie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it'll be okay if you just kind of leave it be or put it in a shaded area of the tank I would not turn your lights off for a week also very important to get those test kits in and check your parameters also what kind of water are you using in the tank do you have an Rodi unit or using tap water with Prime

Started with tap water with prime doing water changes with actual saltwater from 80 miles offshore.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back