Noob with a lot of questions

Texasfishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a couple questions
Background info: Ive been running a 20g long saltwater tank for a month now with 2 regular clownfish and a Greenspotted puffer which I transitioned to full marine. And I’m 15 so I don’t have a lot of money to spend. Right now I’m trying to figure out what I’m rlly getting into if I get corals when it comes to money and equipment
1st question: so I’ve been keeping freshwater for 7 years so I have a bunch of extra equipment. So I just used a regular filter ( like the ones with a simple pad) do y’all think I need to get another filter so that I can put chemicals in it?
2nd: if I get a reef tank, what chemicals should I use to get the healthiest tank.
3rd: is anyone selling a used cheap light ( under a hundred) or know a cheap light that I should buy
4th: do you have stocking (coral and fish) recommendations for a tank with the livestock already in the tank. I rlly want to fill this up.
5th: how do I know how much flow I need in the tank because I’m buying a new power head today.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a series on YouTube by Inappropriate Reefer that can probably help you from A to Z. Reefing isn't cheap, but I know it can be done on a budget. I had my first reef tank when I was around 14 so I know it can be done. I just mowed neighbors yards and washed a lot of cars! I used those lights in the above video and they are fine and you may be able to find used ones too.

Watch those videos. Read these forums. And don't be in a hurry!

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st question: so I’ve been keeping freshwater for 7 years so I have a bunch of extra equipment. So I just used a regular filter ( like the ones with a simple pad) do y’all think I need to get another filter so that I can put chemicals in it?
Get a skimmer.

2nd: if I get a reef tank, what chemicals should I use to get the healthiest tank.
Don't use 'chemicals'. Healthy tanks come from proper biology, not 'chemicals'.

3rd: is anyone selling a used cheap light ( under a hundred) or know a cheap light that I should buy
There is a selling/buying forum on this very site.

4th: do you have stocking (coral and fish) recommendations for a tank with the livestock already in the tank. I rlly want to fill this up.
This isn't a freshwater tank. Overstocking strains the system. Keep the tank lightly stocked unless you enjoy killing fish and emptying your wallet.

5th: how do I know how much flow I need in the tank because I’m buying a new power head today.
I use one tank turnover per minute as a rule of thumb. On a 20 gallon that should be very doable. Remember gas exchange is paramount in this hobby and since your probably don't have any way to surface skim, a protein skimmer and flow that moves the surface a lot is paramount.

Welcome to the hobby, just remember slow and steady wins the race. :)

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all puffers shouldn’t be in a reef tank. They can munch on coral and even other fishes. You can return it or just tell the fish store to hold it until you can get a tank to house it.

1. Filters are filters you can use it just make sure to replace the carbon and clean it out with vinegar and rodi water (if you don’t have any rodi water use Poland springs distilled water)

2. No chemicals. You shouldn’t be putting anything in your tank to fix a problem. Test frequently and do water changes every 2-3 weeks.

3. Keep on the lookout on the sale Forum. There are always people coming in and out of the hobby. I recommend the ai prime, it’s $200 but it comes with complete control over everything.

4. The coral I would recommend are Duncan, candy canes, zoas, toadstools, mushrooms, monticap, and acans. The fish I’d recommend are any type of small goby (I have a court jester goby), and a type of peaceful wrasse. For inverts I’d recommend blue hermits or Halloween hermit crabs, snails (do some research), a tuxedo urchin. and either a blood red fire shrimp or a cleaner shrimp.

5. Do some research but in my tank I have a power head that is rated at 425 gallons per hour (gph)

OP
OP
T

Texasfishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all puffers shouldn’t be in a reef tank. They can munch on coral and even other fishes. You can return it or just tell the fish store to hold it until you can get a tank to house it.

1. Filters are filters you can use it just make sure to replace the carbon and clean it out with vinegar and rodi water (if you don’t have any rodi water use Poland springs distilled water)

2. No chemicals. You shouldn’t be putting anything in your tank to fix a problem. Test frequently and do water changes every 2-3 weeks.

3. Keep on the lookout on the sale Forum. There are always people coming in and out of the hobby. I recommend the ai prime, it’s $200 but it comes with complete control over everything.

4. The coral I would recommend are Duncan, candy canes, zoas, toadstools, mushrooms, monticap, and acans. The fish I’d recommend are any type of small goby (I have a court jester goby), and a type of peaceful wrasse. For inverts I’d recommend blue hermits or Halloween hermit crabs, snails (do some research), a tuxedo urchin. and either a blood red fire shrimp or a cleaner shrimp.

5. Do some research but in my tank I have a power head that is rated at 425 gallons per hour (gph)
Very helpful thank you!

OP
OP
T

Texasfishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What I meant by chemicals is I heard some people adding like a two part additive or something and like extra nutrients to the tank. And wondered what they are

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant by chemicals is I heard some people adding like a two part additive or something and like extra nutrients to the tank. And wondered what they are
Generally speaking they are for corals that form stony (calcium carbonate) skeletons. Those are for a later day. First you need to get some time under your belt, so that you can understand what they do and how they work. Plus you are very unlikely to be familiar with the equipment that is used with them. Try not to chase that rabbit, it will make your head hurt.

Focus on becoming successful with fish and then maybe simple inverts. Do not be ashamed that they are too easy ... we all start there, and the people that skip that step just end up going back to those things or they blow up and get out of the hobby. Go slow, I know it is tempting to rush ... don't it will cost you a lot of money and a ton of frustration. Think about what you are going to do and then wait and think more. Doing this will save you a lot of time and unnecessary frustration.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been keeping tanks since I was six, saltwater since I was around 13 or so; it can be done, but make sure you do your proper googling.

I second the need to get a skimmer. Amazon sells some very nice nano skimmers, but if you're good with your hands, you can DIY a limewood skimmer as well using old soda bottles and some doodads lying around.

As a protip, if you have to ask about "chemicals," then maybe you shouldn't add them. Get specific, so we know what you want to add to deal with X problem. Let's see....15 years old is around the right age for you to be in chemistry and biology classes so start paying attention in class, especially when it comes to the alkali and alkaline earth metals, those're very useful in the reef tank.

TOS say that you shouldn't be fishing for people selling stuff just yet (gotta be here for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts...and also over 18). Amazon sells some very nice LEDs that aren't going to be the same amount of a car. I used this in a college nano reef, worked fairly well for a cheap price; you may want to buy a dimmer as well, since they're rather bright:

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hipagero Aqua Knight is a pretty cheap light that might work on a 20g. You might need 2 of them. They are about 60-70 on Amazon.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although reefing is expensive, I'm sure you can find a comfortable niche.
Choose your equipment only after doing as much homework as you can.
Good luck and welcome to R2R!!!

ZomboMeme 11092020194721.jpg

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Before you get any more equipment, first plan out exactly what is your terminal goal for this tank? If you want to go the coral reef route, you will not only need to upgrade in side, but invest in not so cheap equipments which you are currently strained financially. But you can get away with fish only tanks without skimmer, just need to keep up with the water change and keep livestock light. I also agree with some others that puffers aren't a good fit for your particular situation.

2. By chemicals I assume you are looking for additives? To be honest, unless you are planning to keep stony corals, you will not need any additives. regular water change will help you replenish all trace elements the basic fish & inverts require.

3. Agree with the gang here- visit the trade forum here.

4. Back to #1, I think it's best if you make a wishlist, friends here can then provide the most honest feedback on whether any of them are good fits. You may benefit from visiting some options for nano fish here.

5. Again, flow is dependent to what you wish to keep. I'd hate to give you false feedback on strong flow if what you decide to acquire prefers gentle flow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Buy the best equipment you CAN"T afford and buy it once with confidence and reliability. Used is a cost savings as long as component is in Good condition

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30"-36" tanks are a pain to light though. Requires 2 fixtures or a bar for best coverage. 18"-24" tanks are much better budget sized tanks. Better to go to Petco and get a 14g cube, HOB filter, and just 1 budget light.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Vetteguy, go big or go home. By investing $1000 once you'll avoid having to spend $500 three times plus the livestock you may loss due to subpar quality equipments.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Vetteguy, go big or go home. By investing $1000 once you'll avoid having to spend $500 three times plus the livestock you may loss due to subpar quality equipments.

Not many 15yo can drop a grand on an aquarium. $300-$400 is much more realistic and very do-able.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a couple questions
Background info: Ive been running a 20g long saltwater tank for a month now with 2 regular clownfish and a Greenspotted puffer which I transitioned to full marine. And I’m 15 so I don’t have a lot of money to spend. Right now I’m trying to figure out what I’m rlly getting into if I get corals when it comes to money and equipment

Where are you in Texas if you don’t mind me asking? I’m in Rowlett and will give you some zoanthids to get your feet wet. Just some good growers no Texas Paly.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want corals, then it can be expensive. And you already have a puffer, which is not reef safe. How about keeping it FOWLR for now.

I will add the 1st thing I bought to start this hobby.

RODI - if you can ask your parents, RODI can be use for drinking water too. Get the big RODI system if you can, the RObuddie can work for you but it might cost more on the filters refill in the long run.

If you are going the budget corals route:
Black box for light.
Jebao pump.

If you want a good budget light. AI Prime HD is the choice. You can start with 1 to keep softies/LPS. Check the buy forum here. I got 2 prime HD with mounts for a good deal. But you are 15, so.. do you have CC?

Watch the innappropriate reefer budget series.

If you have more money after getting the essentials, get an ATO. ATO would be very beneficial for a small tank. Balancing the salinity swing.

OP
OP
T

Texasfishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been keeping tanks since I was six, saltwater since I was around 13 or so; it can be done, but make sure you do your proper googling.

I second the need to get a skimmer. Amazon sells some very nice nano skimmers, but if you're good with your hands, you can DIY a limewood skimmer as well using old soda bottles and some doodads lying around.

As a protip, if you have to ask about "chemicals," then maybe you shouldn't add them. Get specific, so we know what you want to add to deal with X problem. Let's see....15 years old is around the right age for you to be in chemistry and biology classes so start paying attention in class, especially when it comes to the alkali and alkaline earth metals, those're very useful in the reef tank.

TOS say that you shouldn't be fishing for people selling stuff just yet (gotta be here for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts...and also over 18). Amazon sells some very nice LEDs that aren't going to be the same amount of a car. I used this in a college nano reef, worked fairly well for a cheap price; you may want to buy a dimmer as well, since they're rather bright:

That light is recommended for fw.
Where are you in Texas if you don’t mind me asking? I’m in Rowlett and will give you some zoanthids to get your feet wet. Just some good growers no Texas Paly.
live in Sugarland Texas, near houston

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back