Noobie looking for guidance and helpful input

Jeffb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have always done freshwater tanks and one day decided to try salt! So I ended up with a 60g cube reef ready tank and stand, and acquired a aqueon proflex model 1 sump. Was going to take time to get it all together, but then my dad lost power for several days and his salt water tank was in danger, winter and the tank was already below 50 degrees. So I broke it down and brought the fish with me to save. Just 2 6 year old damsels, my dad was never interested in the salt, never did water changes, just kept the tank topped off and called it good. So I was able to save about 10 gallons of his established water. Set the damsels up in a 5 gallon temporarily, added the remaining 5 gallons to my tank, 40 pounds of Figi pink live sand, put all his live rock in the sump, plumbed it all up and started filling. After a week of my tank running I was able to transfer the damsels in. I have since purchased about 20 lbs of "dry" live rock and some decor. A marine orbit led(for freshwater, but I am only doing a fowlr tank). I purchased 2 gold strip maroon clowns. Big mistake. Damsels killed the little guy overnight. So I learned about the damsels and surrendered them to my LFS. I have now purchased a emerald crab, 3 electric blue legged hermit crabs and a royal gramma. Everyone seems to be getting along. I have a circulation pump in the corner about half way down angled toward the bottom. Heater in the sump. I will be getting a protein skimmer here shortly, but with this sump I have to get a small one. I am running the 2 4-inch socks with seachem carbon in then and some floss webbing ontop of the live rock to quiet down the sump, ammonia reducer pad just before entering the last chamber that has the heater and return pump. I have a slight ammonia problem at .25ppm, I treated with conditioner to make non toxic, 0 nitrates and 0 nitrites, salinity at about 1.20. Besides protein skimmer, any other suggestions for media or filtration? I also use prime with all my tanks water changes. Thanx for reading and appreciate any input!!!

Last edited:

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your tank ever cycle? Your ammonia should be zero. If you read ammonia anymore in the next few days do a good sized water change and dose some biospira or nitrifying bacteria. Liveaquaria is great to check fish compatibility. Also you can just post here and wed be glad to help. Its an easy way to save your fishes lives and some hard earned cash. You could add a refugium to your sump and grow some chaeto and pods. That will keep your phosphates down and make your tank run better

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello Jeff, Sounds like your tank hasn't cycled yet. That being said those damsels are very tough fish. Consider doing a big water change to get that ammonia down. You will need some am to start a cycle. just keep it low. take your time & seek advice,getting several opinions before spending any $$.Your freshwater skills will help Ya. Good Luck !

OP
OP
J

Jeffb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Couple things:

1. Shouldn't the tank not need to be cycled? I used well established rock , filter media and approximately 10% of total volume( with sump I'd say it's pushing 68-70 gallons) established water. In essence,when I took the water out of one tank, put in another , filled with fresh salt water and used all the same media and rock for bacteria, isn't that the same end result of doing the major water change? With all the bacteria all ready established with that big of a water change I would think that it would have re-cycled within the 2 weeks I have had it running now

2. I have checked out the comparability chart and it confuses me. At the top they don't give you compatability for all the rows or columns. It says dwarf angel is compatible with dwarf angel. But when you go to dwarf angel and puffer, theirs no y,n or c. If the two items line up And give a rating great, but what does it mean for all the matches that are empty?

3. Both the fish are less than 2 inches as of now, how many fish could I possibly get away with in a 60 cube? I know it depends on sizes and if they are swimmers or not, but generally does the freshwater rule of thumb of 1 inch per gallon hold true to salt?

4. Is their a limit to the cleaning crew? I have been trying to look on line for some unique inverts to be cleaners, don't want too many that are sold at every fish shop around. Want something cool. But I don't want to stock too many cleaners that it limits the number of fish. Shoot for a 50/50 ratios of cleaners to fish?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Couple things:

1. Shouldn't the tank not need to be cycled? I used well established rock , filter media and approximately 10% of total volume( with sump I'd say it's pushing 68-70 gallons) established water. In essence,when I took the water out of one tank, put in another , filled with fresh salt water and used all the same media and rock for bacteria, isn't that the same end result of doing the major water change? With all the bacteria all ready established with that big of a water change I would think that it would have re-cycled within the 2 weeks I have had it running now

2. I have checked out the comparability chart and it confuses me. At the top they don't give you compatability for all the rows or columns. It says dwarf angel is compatible with dwarf angel. But when you go to dwarf angel and puffer, theirs no y,n or c. If the two items line up And give a rating great, but what does it mean for all the matches that are empty?

3. Both the fish are less than 2 inches as of now, how many fish could I possibly get away with in a 60 cube? I know it depends on sizes and if they are swimmers or not, but generally does the freshwater rule of thumb of 1 inch per gallon hold true to salt?

4. Is their a limit to the cleaning crew? I have been trying to look on line for some unique inverts to be cleaners, don't want too many that are sold at every fish shop around. Want something cool. But I don't want to stock too many cleaners that it limits the number of fish. Shoot for a 50/50 ratios of cleaners to fish?

If you getting ammonia readings do a water change, that said if you are using conditioned tap that has chloramines you could basically be adding ammonia with every water change. Generally recommended to use rodi, even for fowlr, it lets you know what your adding and can help with keeping nuisance algae at bay. Can use distilled water from the grocery in a pinch or purchase rodi from a lfs.

Seems like that chart, you have check both axis for the fish you are looking for.. Your example dwarf Angel and puffer is blank, but what about puffer and dwarf angel.. If that makes sense.

Stocking saltwater is going to be determined more by behavior and territory than anything. It's not like cichlids where overcrowding helps. And inch per gallon generally is a poor guide in saltwater. Look up what you would like and start a new thread with your fish list, or post in the thread about stocking help.. I'll add a link.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/200605/

Cleaning crew is only limited to what you tank can support, just be sure to research each one. Some things sold are not necessarily safe, ie arrow crabs are said to take fish when large enough but are still sold..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back