Noopsyche Helpful Reefer Giveaway! Win a K7 Pro II LED Reef Light!!

mrbryan809

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice as a fellow newbie that is also on this amazing adventure is to not give up, you will have times that you will regret starting the hobbie and be completely broke but I promise you this, you will have more times where you're in complete awe when you see the little piece of ocean you created in your house that feeling of accomplishment is what keeps you in this amazing hobbie!!

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across post talking about the pros and cons of a fluidized media bed. After doing allot of reach I noticed on saltwater we use a reactor and induce flow using water. While in fresh we use air to due the same thing. If you use air instead of water you avoid the one of the main draw backs of this type of filtration oxygen depletion. This also help with oxygen exchange and possibly has other benefits for FOWLER systems with a high bio load.

WARz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice I ca give to a newb like me, research everything. Before you buy a coral or fish, look it up and think of what is already in your tank. Don't go buying that pretty purple dottyback if you have a RoyalGramma in your 60 gallon tank already. Don't go out and get that Yellow tang for you 38 gallon cube. Corals need extra research. Don't believe what the LFS tells you, look it up and when in doubt post here. I have found that the responses I have gotten from this site helped more than anything.

Birdman3611

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently found out that yellow eye kole tangs and lawnmower bennies do not always get along. I am still planning on keeping them in my 75 gallon tank because I read that if you feed them well enough, you shouldn't have a problem. This may occur because they are both major algae eaters.

Joeype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My noopsyche k7 is working awesome and my corals are loving life. Getting a few more for my next build!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus Entry:
1592436751102.png

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tip I like to share is water level planning.

I don’t trust back flow valves or emergency drains. When setting up a basic tank/sump in a stand there should be no reason for any water on the floor due to power failures or blocked drains. If you set the return jet siphon breaks and over flows correctly the sump should have enough room until the tank is done backfilling. If a drain gets blocked there should not be more water in the return area of the sump for the pump to pick up than will overflow the tank.

Works on reefready and up and over style tanks. That is why i never worry about my hob overflow failing. Even if the siphon breaks in the u-tube the wet dry underneath will run dry before the tank overflows.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest tip would be dont run an ultra low nutrient system unless you are an expert reefer with a seasoned reef. Corals and microorganisms dont like starving!

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, being new to the hobby and only in my first week of cycling, the best advice I found on cycling was Dr. Tim's presentation at MACNA 2019 - Cycling Secrets. "Keep your salinity around 18-20ppm and temp between 25-30°C". These 2 parameters help bacteria grow and populate faster. Video link below

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back