Noopsyche Helpful Reefer Giveaway! Win a K7 Pro II LED Reef Light!!

Luke’s reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official entry: Best advice given to me was by a friend of mine who said “ every tank is different, try not to chase numbers or make drastic changes to your tank just because some one has told you what your doing is wrong. Unless there is a major problem with your livestock do not change things just because you are told its not Perfect, every tank is its own eco system and you have to do whats right for your tank not what others have done to theirs.”

To this day, I take everything with a pinch of salt. Advice and help is always welcome but listening to your tank and its inhabitants has always been the best thing to do for me rather than listen and make Big changes when they are not needed and could possible have devastating results.

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread update:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bonus 5: updated build thread today.

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice Ive ever gotten and the best I can give is to not start off with using additives /chemicals to get an algae problem under control. Either start out with the correct sized(or larger) CUC or get one as soon as you can. Its always amazing to me how fast all those little guys work and in the end will cost you way less time, money and heart ache.

Last edited:

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entry: I think the best tip I ever got, which was a long time ago: KISS (keep it simple stupid). Never over react, and don't rely on technology, just use it to help make things easier.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build Thread update:

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I did not realize how much influence environmental factors have over pH. Nor did I realize that the pH at night is totally different than pH measured during the day. I blindly chased a pH number that was impossible to hit because it was a moving target. Focus on things you can control. Find your reef's daily alkalinity uptake and adjust accordingly. Dose calcium sparingly as needed. pH will find it's happy place all on it's own.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entry1: My advice is to put drip loops on your electrical equipment cords. Make sure the loop is made to be lower than the outlet it is being plugged into. House fires are not a good thing!

Firstpriorityarefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the saltwater industry just got my first tank and it’s doing really well. One advice I have is to always get information about something you have a question on. And get the information from all the sources you have. It’s always better to get different reviews then just one.

bowhunter1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice is go slow! ( I know I know) but it is true!! I speak from experience, my tank is 13 months new and I'm just starting to get my nitrites under control because of using rock that was full of life but got boiled by a faulty heater and I thought I could just scrub it clean.

saltysailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best tip that I have gotten in this hobby is that each tank is different. You start with the basics but if your tank is thriving don’t mess with a good thing. I would love an opportunity to win this light! I believe I qualify for bonus 1 I’ve helped quite a few people! ❤️

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus entry:
1593657317930.png

J_C_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official entry: ok from my experience on the reef hobby don't change salts just like that without doing your research. I used to use instant ocean salt and I switched to RedSea Pro Salt because I heard really good things about it plus is RedSea brand a well known brand in the saltwater hobby. I started using it and I usually don't test my water after a water change less so after changing salt for the first time,but right away on the first few hours my corals started to close so I tested the water to see what was the problem. Now I usually run my parameter as followed: Mg 1250,dKh 9,Ca 370 and that works very well for me and my tank but after using the salt all the parameters spiked Mg was over 1500,dKh was at 16,Ca was at over 700 the most important being dkh. What I did to fix it was take about 15 gallons of saltwater and refill with just RODI water,waited a couple hours and tested again to find the parameters dropping,so I took another 10 gallons of tank water and refilled with more RODI water then waited til next day. Next day my parameters were lower,not where I used to have them but not in very dangerous levels. Check your salt that you're changing to,do your research as everything you do in this hobby can potentially harm your living organisms inside your aquarium.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back