Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*****This thread is being closed so all discussions have moved here*****
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/80g-shallow-reef-build.463125/

The introduction of a new light to the market is an exciting thing to most reef keepers and I was not an exception. Many of you know me from the "Real Black Box Study" thread where we all were introduced to a new light , the Noopsyche K7 Pro2.
In the study Noopsyche wanted to compare their lights par/spectrum to 3 other well know lights,
the AI 26hd,Kessil 360x,Radion XR15w pro, after getting the numbers from the lights and comparing them we realized that the K7 was not only a good equal to these other big brands, they have the promise of being a direct alternative to buying these other big named and let's not forget big priced lights.
I'll admit that I was sold on these lights after working with them and decided to get these for my new personal tank a 48in x 24in x 16in deep blue 80g shallow tank. Since the decision was made to use these lights why not do an open book study into how well the K7 grew coral from a fledgling new reef tank to a mature exotic ocean in a box and monitor coral growth with color variances here in real time.

I want a real open study so anyone please chime in on settings and recommendations on what coral we want to grow from infant to a big beautiful colony of life please do so.
My tank is almost 1.5 month's in and about ready for the first coral and will start the study once the first coral is introduced.
Once the lights are shipped I'll set them up and start taking some pictures.

P.S.
For those people wandering why this is not in the Black Box thread has to do with fact that this is one study on one light and on my personal tank. This is not comparing other lights to each other as in the BB study as only one light will be studied here to see how well it does or doesn't perform.
I have all the time in the world to devote to doing this and I love it!!

Last edited:

alpinestar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The introduction of a new light to the market is an exciting thing to most reef keepers and I was not an exception. Many of you know me from the "Real Black Box Study" thread where we all were introduced to a new light , the Noopsyche K7 Pro2.
In the study Noopsyche wanted to compare their lights par/spectrum to 3 other well know lights,
the AI 26hd,Kessil 360x,Radion XR15w pro, after getting the numbers from the lights and comparing them we realized that the K7 was not only a good equal to these other big brands, they have the promise of being a direct alternative to buying these other big named and let's not forget big priced lights.
I'll admit that I was sold on these lights after working with them and decided to get these for my new personal tank a 48in x 24in x 16in deep blue 80g shallow tank. Since the decision was made to use these lights why not do an open book study into how well the K7 grew coral from a fledgling new reef tank to a mature exotic ocean in a box and monitor coral growth with color variances here in real time.

I want a real open study so anyone please chime in on settings and recommendations on what coral we want to grow from infant to a big beautiful colony of life please do so.
My tank is almost 1.5 month's in and about ready for the first coral and will start the study once the first coral is introduced.
Once the lights are shipped I'll set them up and start taking some pictures.

P.S.
For those people wandering why this is not in the Black Box thread has to do with fact that this is one study on one light and on my personal tank. This is not comparing other lights to each other as in the BB study as only one light will be studied here to see how well it does or doesn't perform.
I have all the time in the world to devote to doing this and I love it!!
Thanks for all your work on this and the bb study. Just ordered a k7 thanks to your diligence.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropra should be the highlight of this. If the K7 can grow colorful acropa and at a good rate then it will grow anything.
I agree 100% :)
I am ordering a DOS so I can setup my auto water changes then we will be all set. Using 3 K7's should give perfect coverage so we will get some par measurements
at many different locations for optimal placement.
Will do but I'll be leaning heavily on the forum for setup
I am also relying on forum for a good setup.
@MSB123 and @dantimdad are working on some settings based on AB+ settings so I really want them to chime in.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100% :)
I am ordering a DOS so I can setup my auto water changes then we will be all set. Using 3 K7's should give perfect coverage so we will get some par measurements
at many different locations for optimal placement.

I am also relying on forum for a good setup.
@MSB123 and @dantimdad are working on some settings based on AB+ settings so I really want them to chime in.
I’m here! ;)
I am still perfecting numbers. I have a good mix that visually is almost undistinguishable from the Radion xr15 I am using to compare.
Here are my current numbers, feel free to modify them if you need them.
Ignore the green, and the red are the 1-7 presets throughout the day.
Adjust these times as you see fit!
C2A75B76-1BFD-4AFB-9549-233AF15C1CDF.jpeg

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m here! ;)
I am still perfecting numbers. I have a good mix that visually is almost undistinguishable from the Radion xr15 I am using to compare.
This is pure awesome sauce right here;Happy Those settings should be perfect for what I am doing here.

alpinestar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m here! ;)

Just got mine in the mail today. Super quick shipping I think we finalized on Monday and it arrived today. For a 16" tall 17g cube would you recc. cutting these intensities in half to start? Moving from a 60w Aqua Knight @MSB123 Thanks for posting these!

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine in the mail today. Super quick shipping I think we finalized on Monday and it arrived today. For a 16" tall 17g cube would you recc. cutting these intensities in half to start? Moving from a 60w Aqua Knight @MSB123 Thanks for posting these!
16” tall?
I think you should use 60%

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the tank in the final stage (21:30)
With no filter
image.jpg

Is that 180G 5ft long tank from your sig?

Reason i am asking is because I am quite interested in these lights for my 120G 4ft tank, so curious to see how many fixtures I should aim for. There was mention that it would need 6 for SPS tank, but seeing how you have 6 over your makes me wonder.

Thanks

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that 180G 5ft long tank from your sig?

Reason i am asking is because I am quite interested in these lights for my 120G 4ft tank, so curious to see how many fixtures I should aim for. There was mention that it would need 6 for SPS tank, but seeing how you have 6 over your makes me wonder.

Thanks
How deep is your tank?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Manose did you discuss a possible group buy with @noopsyche for these lights? There was a mention of perhaps, maybe, possibly, something could be done. If not, @noopsyche , seeing how these lights are getting quite a good exposure on R2R, and have people talking, would there be a chance of doing a group buy sometimes in the future?

Thanks again for all the hard work and constant updates. Looking forward to results here as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%

Back