Noopsyche K7 Pro II - Crimson's Review and Growth Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay in updating.

I do think these are a decent option. They seemed to function well, you were able to add dimming points which are a step above other black box leds. I did notice coral growth, and color seemed as good as my previous setup.

I do think there needs to be an adjustment to the controller. An app or improved controller would be a welcome improvement! It is very basic and somewhat difficult to program. The given instructions were difficult to understand, but I believe this is being improved, if not already corrected. An app would be amazing, and probably not difficult to implement.

Although they are a nice fixture, I did decide to put them on the shelf. I am currently using GHL Mitras.

Overall, if you are looking for a decent light on a budget, this is an option. I am a huge fan of Ocean Revive Leds and would recommend them to anyone in a heart beat. If you want more control and similar budget as the K7, I would look into Reef Breeders V2. It has a more refined controller and more dimming points. I am not hating on the light by any means, I just think there are some better options for similar or cheaper pricing.
Great honest review. Id recommend you try out the ledzeal.com Malibu s model with the custom led layout. In each comparable size they are about 100.00 less then the v2 and have both a wired controller AND wifi app that allows control via phone or other mobile device.

OP
OP
Crimsonvice

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great honest review. Id recommend you try out the ledzeal.com Malibu s model with the custom led layout. In each comparable size they are about 100.00 less then the v2 and have both a wired controller AND wifi app that allows control via phone or other mobile device.
I will check them out.

Fishtown Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Radions (sorry @noopsyche !) and most people's settings are way too blue for me. I understand why they do it.. But you know what? I boosted my White/WarmWhite/Green/Red from the tried and true 24% (AB+ programming) to 35%. My corals LOVE IT. These are the missing spectrums that everybody looks over, and they are absolutely critical to coral health and growth.

Yeah, things won't look as colorful at 14K with LED's, but you don't need to run them like that all day.

I have a 14 hour photo period... 1 hour ramp up, 7 hours peak (lots of white/red/green) and then a very slow 5 hour all blue/UV ramp down.

This not only gives the corals everything they need and want, but a nice slow 5 hour ramp down in just blues gives you all the time you could want to see things pop.

Rakie, I’ve been loving the Noopsyche LEDs (upgraded from a Current Orbit system) but I’ve been missing my nighttime blues. Could you post your programming? I know the Radions have a different programming but I was hoping to mimic your schedule. Thanks!

David22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUYER BEWARE!!! Please save your money, time, and patience. The lights are cheaply made, the controller looks like a 5 year olds child’s toy, and good luck with the programming. I lost well over $1000 in fish and corals due to these lights. The lights started loosing there settings after day 3 and when I complained they had the distributor contact me. I once again program them and lost the settings the next day. Programmed them again and left for four days to travel for work to return to a full diatom bloom, dead coral, dead fish, and lights at 100% intensity. Based on what I saw on the video from the camera in my house, they were at full intensity 62 hours. If you are looking for a good verified light with a budget, take a look at RedSea’s Reef LED 50/90 lights. Those have actually been reviewed by companies with good reputations that stand behind their reviews. Good luck finding a real review of these lights!

0D566336-6300-4F4D-A353-84550D775B50.jpeg

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you buy new led and try to replace your old led, people will according to the par you set before to set the (new led's) brightness.
When people build new tank, people generally set the lower brightness then slowly increase power in order to adapt the environment, in case coral get wrong or die. Lot of people ignore the second point.
It will not die in a couple of day or two, and it death also can caused by water quality. Of course, when you're replacing new led and you didn't notice the power as you set before, it also can affect your coral, maybe coral get white for a period of time

OP
OP
Crimsonvice

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUYER BEWARE!!! Please save your money, time, and patience. The lights are cheaply made, the controller looks like a 5 year olds child’s toy, and good luck with the programming. I lost well over $1000 in fish and corals due to these lights. The lights started loosing there settings after day 3 and when I complained they had the distributor contact me. I once again program them and lost the settings the next day. Programmed them again and left for four days to travel for work to return to a full diatom bloom, dead coral, dead fish, and lights at 100% intensity. Based on what I saw on the video from the camera in my house, they were at full intensity 62 hours. If you are looking for a good verified light with a budget, take a look at RedSea’s Reef LED 50/90 lights. Those have actually been reviewed by companies with good reputations that stand behind their reviews. Good luck finding a real review of these lights!

0D566336-6300-4F4D-A353-84550D775B50.jpeg

Welcome to R2R!

I appreciate the thread bump and am sorry for your losses. However, I am confused by your last statement on "finding a real review of these lights". This thread was an unbiased review of the lights. I was selected to trial them, I did, and gave the reefing community my thoughts. In the end I chose to go another route, and plainly explained that point here.

I am sorry that you experienced these issues with your lights, but the ones that I had trialed did not have issues like that. I have spoken with many people that have tried these, and overall they are happy with there purchase. This does not mean there isn't ever a lemon, but your experience does not seem be the norm. Personally, I do feel there is room for improvement in the controller, as mentioned in my review. Seems like this could have been the issue in your case.

***Just so everyone is aware, I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with Nopsychee.

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering getting these lights for my 75 gallon tank. Do I HAVE to have the mounts meant for these or could I make my own mount to hang them from with wire or similar material?

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this light from the first sales here on R2R and all I can said by my own experience that the K7 are a great budget light way better than the Viparspectra that I have on my first year with the tank. I’m working on my tank upgrade and definitely will buy two more of this light for my new tank. I agree that the controller is a little bit tricky but thanks to @Manose I was able to learn how to set it up and until today are working properly and I love it.
This is my last video.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering getting these lights for my 75 gallon tank. Do I HAVE to have the mounts meant for these or could I make my own mount to hang them from with wire or similar material?
I frankensteined the mounts to an ai classic rail. I wouldn't have bought the mounts if I had to pay extra or of I bought them separately. They are decent mounts but for the price you could make something better.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 6 of these over a mixed reef 6'x24" be overkill? Standard 180 has two braces, so divides the tank into 24x24" 'sections' x 3. 2 lights per section

I currently have 3 mars aqua 165w, but hate that there is no dimming and I'm sure I could do way better

I do have growth on a couple favia, some Duncan's, hammers at mid tank, plus happy fungia plates on the sand. Looking to add a lot more lps and some easy sps very soon

Thanks!

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 6 of these over a mixed reef 6'x24" be overkill? Standard 180 has two braces, so divides the tank into 24x24" 'sections' x 3. 2 lights per section

I currently have 3 mars aqua 165w, but hate that there is no dimming and I'm sure I could do way better

I do have growth on a couple favia, some Duncan's, hammers at mid tank, plus happy fungia plates on the sand. Looking to add a lot more lps and some easy sps very soon

Thanks!
Not overkill at all and would enable you to do much more with your intensity and spectrum throughout the day.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not overkill at all and would enable you to do much more with your intensity and spectrum throughout the day.
Thanks!

6 plus a controller will be just shy of $1100. That's quite a bit more than a diy option I've been planning ($700 for 7 channel, 650w)

How good is the dimming on these? How many set points and how smooth is the dimming?

Thanks

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What leds are used in these lights? Are the lights UL rated? I've seen reviews from those that were given the lights for review and just now seeing first reviews from those that have purchased the lights. I do a lot of budget tanks for clients so I was looking for a safe and reliable light that could grow coral on a budget. But after seeing the reviews on thier Facebook page and they mysteriously go away makes you take a step back. Someone mentioned that now all posts have to be reviewed before they will be posted to the page. I believe that some of the "given for review" lights were likely highly scrutinized for quality. Is there now an issue with models going out? I believe the OP got a decent light. Probably saw that it didn't fit his needs. His open review was commendable. But I'm seeing a lot of chatter that is different now, and most is being deleted. Again my questions are, is the light UL rated, what led and bins are used, and what, spectrum can you show on a graph from these lights? The lights have a very odd pinkish white color from all the photos I've seen.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lights now. They are still jamming and I love them. Check my thread.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this lights on my current 40g breeder tank for almost a year and no problems at all with a great grow in corals. I'm upgrading to a 75g and will be getting one or two more.

9B55BA06-E1AE-470B-AA7C-1FFE0550D076.jpeg

Last edited:

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What leds are used in these lights? Are the lights UL rated? I've seen reviews from those that were given the lights for review and just now seeing first reviews from those that have purchased the lights. I do a lot of budget tanks for clients so I was looking for a safe and reliable light that could grow coral on a budget. But after seeing the reviews on thier Facebook page and they mysteriously go away makes you take a step back. Someone mentioned that now all posts have to be reviewed before they will be posted to the page. I believe that some of the "given for review" lights were likely highly scrutinized for quality. Is there now an issue with models going out? I believe the OP got a decent light. Probably saw that it didn't fit his needs. His open review was commendable. But I'm seeing a lot of chatter that is different now, and most is being deleted. Again my questions are, is the light UL rated, what led and bins are used, and what, spectrum can you show on a graph from these lights? The lights have a very odd pinkish white color from all the photos I've seen.

Here's a thread that @Dana Riddle did to pull out the performance of the Noopsyche K7.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back